Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone looking for advice. I have an 08 jku x automatic I purchased new. It is still stock and time to either dress it up or find a 12+ that someone already dressed up.

For bumpers, fenders, 35" tires lift, running boards and re-gearing the jeep it will cost me roughly 7 to 8k and I will still have the poor 3.8 motor.

Another option is to try and find a 12+ model that someone has already dressed up and sell my 08.

So purchase one already done with a better engine or fix up my baby I have had for 7 years?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have an 09 with the same motor, and honestly i have no real issues with the engine. I have upgraded my Jeep a decent amount. It's not a race car by any means, it might take me longer to get somewhere, but thats quality bonding time with my Jeep. The 3.6 is not without it's issues. Having driven a 83 Cj with a whopping 85 Hp, I have no complaints with my 202 Hp.. Keep in mind if you wheel your Jeep, it's easier to accept some damage with a older Jeep. I don't think anyone buys a Jeep wrangler for it's power, but more for it's wheeling ability.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
For what it's worth I've had two friends go from the 3.8 to the 3.6 recently. One totaled his the other just wanted a new project. Both are extremely happy with the new motor. One manual and one auto so they got it covered on both ends.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I were you, I would stick with the Jeep you got and build it your way instead of buying a Jeep someone else picked parts for. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
625 Posts
All depends on your budget. Personally, I would test the waters with trading it in and ordering a brand new 2016. A stripper 2016 JKU with auto, 3.73's, and trac-lok should be able to be ordered for ~$28.5K. If your 2008 JKU X is in good shape with normal mileage you can probably get around $12-13K in trade. That's only a $15-16K differential but you'll have a brand new Jeep.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"So purchase one already done with a better engine or fix up my baby I have had for 7 years? "

I just traded my own Precious 08JK in at 90K.

You might be surprised how much there is to love in the 2015 stocker Willys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts