Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which is more critical?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my wheels/tires to 34's and i need to address the rear tailgate. My question is, in the order of importance/immediate need, what do i replace first: Hinges or Tire carrier? I realize the weak point are the welds on the tailgate that can pop due to weight and an unstable tire. There are numerous options but I'm asking, whats the order of importance? At a later date, I will do the other but at the time I don't have $500-$700 to fork out for both.

TIA

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,300 Posts
MORryde lets you upgrade the hinges, reinforce the tailgate and upgrade the tire carrier as needed. Or you can do all three at once.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, ive seen those and they look very nice. which one is more important? the hinge or the tailgate reinforcement?

MORryde lets you upgrade the hinges, reinforce the tailgate and upgrade the tire carrier as needed. Or you can do all three at once.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Both. I went to 35's and put on the Teraflex HD Hinge and Tire Carrier.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,300 Posts
yea, ive seen those and they look very nice. which one is more important? the hinge or the tailgate reinforcement?
On mine I did the hinges and tailgate reinforcement. My stock tire/wheel now clears the Rock Hard 4x4 bumper which does not have the scoop that the OEM bumper has in it. I estimate this combination moves the spare back about 1 inch and leaves it at the same height. That might be enough to clear the stock bumper with a 34.

I guess I would worry about those welds with just the hinges and tire carrier upgrade.

You can get all three components as a kit from Retrofit Offroad for less than the Terraflex I think. Don't know about the Smittybilt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I did tire carrier. A few time out crawling had I gone with the hinges I probably would have torn the rear tailgate off getting hung up on the spare tire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The stock carrier is too low. With a bigger tire you almost can't use the hitch... Every time I help a buddy hook up his little trailer to his jeep I think why is this so difficult, then I realize it is because of the stock carrier.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you still running the OEM carrier?

On mine I did the hinges and tailgate reinforcement. My stock tire/wheel now clears the Rock Hard 4x4 bumper which does not have the scoop that the OEM bumper has in it. I estimate this combination moves the spare back about 1 inch and leaves it at the same height. That might be enough to clear the stock bumper with a 34.

I guess I would worry about those welds with just the hinges and tire carrier upgrade.

You can get all three components as a kit from Retrofit Offroad for less than the Terraflex I think. Don't know about the Smittybilt.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,300 Posts
Are you still running the OEM carrier?
Yes. Just installing the hinges and tailgate reinforcement moved the tire enough to clear the bumper and eliminated all the rattles and squeaks.

The tire relocation bracket that comes with the Rock Hard Bumper moved the tire up and out a couple of inches in each direction making the squeaking and rattling unbearable (and probably wrecking the welds and hinges down the trail too). I love Rock Hard's stuff but their solution for moving the tire really stinks....

Mine is a stock Willys tire so nominal 32" but measures 31" with the Jeep sitting on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Both. I went to 35's and put on the Teraflex HD Hinge and Tire Carrier.

Did this as well. Love it. Real solid. I run 35". My hinges were shot before I upgraded wheels so I tried to kill two birds with one stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
100,650 Posts
573a3bc4dd76a300892127a5 TC.jpg

^^^Do it right the first time and do both. Teraflex HD Hindged Tire Carrier.

This is one of the best..IMO

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
both as old Dogger said this what I have been using for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man, thats steep. i have a hard time paying $600 for a tire hinge/carrier...

It's what I'll be ordering in about a week or so. With the various discounts the vendors give us you can come in right around $600 for the setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Haha yeah me too. But I guess its the price we pay to get those oversize tires.
The Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge and Tactic Carriers will run you about $150 less with the discounts. All of them as well as the Teraflex include everything we need to reinforce the hinges and the carrier. They also allow us to adjust the spare to fit snugly against the rig to limit vibrations and suck. All 4 have great reviews though the Tereflex seems to be the most sought after, perhaps because they were first to market and people here seem to have an issue with what they believe to be "knockoff's"(The word is thrown around very liberally here) and the Teraflex also has the most versatile extra's of the 4.
I also considered the Moryde hinges and carrier as well as another though I don't remember the name. The hinges seem to get good reviews but the carriers seem to be lacking in adjustment, and you really don't save to much by going that way anyway. So it was back to the Teraflex for me so I could make sure a high lift and CB antenna mount were able to integrate seamlessly.

Added:
E-Autogrilles also makes a HD carrier and hinges that appear just as solid as the others. It also offers full adjustment. It's $449 I believe on amazon. But with discounts on the Smitty, RR, and Tactik you'll come out cheaper with them.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,300 Posts
MORryde is $450 (on sale down from $500) at Retrofit Offroad for the kit if you need all three components.

Supports up to 40s.

Made in the USA too if you care about that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I did tire carrier. A few time out crawling had I gone with the hinges I probably would have torn the rear tailgate off getting hung up on the spare tire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Assuming you have a compressor for air? If not, get one.

Never wheel on rocks/technical trails with full air in spare.

Let all the air out of the spare...leave just enough so that the bead is still against the rim. This will reduce the shock transferred to the carrier/Jeep if you bounce off a rock.

sent via the cone of silence

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the Teraflex hinged tire carrier and it was probably one of the best upgrades for me. It was around $600 for the combo from WF's vendors. If you can't afford it right now, then just ride without a spare for a couple of months and put a little cash in a coffee can every week till you get close. Make sure and carry a small compressor and a tire plug/sealant if you ride without it. I ran without one for several months while I saved up. Take your time and do it right the first time. You can ratchet strap the spare in the tub of the Jeep when you wheel.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The TACTIK looks solid!

Haha yeah me too. But I guess its the price we pay to get those oversize tires.
The Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge and Tactic Carriers will run you about $150 less with the discounts. All of them as well as the Teraflex include everything we need to reinforce the hinges and the carrier. They also allow us to adjust the spare to fit snugly against the rig to limit vibrations and suck. All 4 have great reviews though the Tereflex seems to be the most sought after, perhaps because they were first to market and people here seem to have an issue with what they believe to be "knockoff's"(The word is thrown around very liberally here) and the Teraflex also has the most versatile extra's of the 4.
I also considered the Moryde hinges and carrier as well as another though I don't remember the name. The hinges seem to get good reviews but the carriers seem to be lacking in adjustment, and you really don't save to much by going that way anyway. So it was back to the Teraflex for me so I could make sure a high lift and CB antenna mount were able to integrate seamlessly.

Added:
E-Autogrilles also makes a HD carrier and hinges that appear just as solid as the others. It also offers full adjustment. It's $449 I believe on amazon. But with discounts on the Smitty, RR, and Tactik you'll come out cheaper with them.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The TACTIK looks solid!
From my research it appears that the Rugged Ridge and the Tactik are the same carrier. Now I could be wrong but I have found nothing to say otherwise. I can't remember the exact thread, but a RR rep was posting about the carrier and a few people asked about the differences from the tactik and the rep never answered while answering all other questions asked.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts