Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my standard stereo which has the Bluetooth function . Does anyone know what the specs of that unit are so I know what I need to upgrade from ? Also is upgrading the base unit enough or do I need to upgrade / add other components such as an amp?

Also is it worth upgrading to 430N or 730N or is there better quality for same price with a different manufacturer like pioneer, Harmon kardon etc?

Thank
Darren

·
Registered
720 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time or money on a Chrysler head unit. You can get a far better aftermarket unit for less. If you check out my audio build thread in my sig you can see what I did. I was going to rip out the speakers & amp too, but have decided to keep them for now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was looking at replacing the head unit as well using a non mopar unit. This may be a dumb question but when you replace the head unit do you maintain the use of the steering wheel audio controls. I haven't replaced a head unit in a LONG time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was looking at replacing the head unit as well using a non mopar unit. This may be a dumb question but when you replace the head unit do you maintain the use of the steering wheel audio controls. I haven't replaced a head unit in a LONG time.
It's possible to use the wheel controls. just make sure you do your homework. Most units need an additional module to retain the functionality.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
To be honest if you are having to ask these questions you might want to consider having an audio shop tackle this for you, you could really jack up your system. Just look up a good shop in the area and explain to them what you want and im sure they would be happy to help you, just don't let them upsell you too much, im sure they would love to put a 10 grand system in for you. :tomatoes:

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you look on Crutchfield they have harnesses pre-built which will allow you to retain all your steering control functionality. Crutchfield also sends mounting hardware with the head unit which makes the swap painless. I swapped my head unit in about an hour or so and had no previous experience (but I don't have steering controls so the wiring was a little easier). I recommend looking there to see what you'll need to do before paying an installer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To be honest if you are having to ask these questions you might want to consider having an audio shop tackle this for you, you could really jack up your system. Just look up a good shop in the area and explain to them what you want and im sure they would be happy to help you, just don't let them upsell you too much, im sure they would love to put a 10 grand system in for you. :tomatoes:
I agree completely! I live out in the middle of no where so going to a shop is the kind of thing I have to plan an entire day around. Just wanted to check here. I'm just in the planning/info gathering phase right now.

Thanks for the info jwink.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time or money on a Chrysler head unit. You can get a far better aftermarket unit for less. If you check out my audio build thread in my sig you can see what I did. I was going to rip out the speakers & amp too, but have decided to keep them for now.
great I will check it out

·
Registered
257 Posts
I replaced my 130res with Pioneer receiver, the module to keep the steering wheel controls, upgraded the speakers (not the subwoofer), and kept the stock amp. With the module and stock amp I lost the fader function which does not bother me. It sounds way better than stock and is a lot louder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts