Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me set the stage,

I have a 2011 JKU with a Teraflex 2.5in budget boost lift. Now, this is a coil spring spacer and shock extensions on top of the stock shocks springs. I want to upgrade to a proper 2.5in lift, but will be doing it in pieces because I can't afford to buy a complete lift all at one time.

So, my question. If you have to upgrade shocks or springs (but can't do both) which would you do first and why? And, so this isn't boring, which brand would you go with?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go with the TeraFlex falcon 3.1 shocks. they have cheaper 2.1 but the 3.1 are for fast offroading. the 3.3 are adjustable.
You already have the 2.5 height so install the shocks first, then when you can afford it get the proper springs and the 3rd step get the stabilizer changed as well.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If your decision is budget driven and want good quality, I would look into synergy products, you can add to your lift in stages. "$700 for the 2 inch starter kit" If you're DOING YOUR OWN WORK I SEE NO ISSUE WITH THIS, HOWEVER IF YOU ARE PAYING SOMEONE YOU WILL HAVE TO REDO THE SHOCK REMOVAL/install and incur this charge twice. I would just save some more $ and drop $1400 on an AEV setup with new sway bar links and some drop brake line brackets, correction brackets for the front and a new front track-bar. One shot and should be good to go.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is coming from when I owned a ZJ, but in my experience, piecing it together just doesn't work very well and costs you more in the end anyway.

I was constantly changing parts on my ZJ, since originally I didn't want to pay close to a grand for the Rubicon Express kit. So, coils from this place, shocks from this place (multiple sets), track bar from this place, etc, all installed over time.

At one point had a cheap Rusty's 3.5" kit that netted me 4.5", which was way scary on stock arms. Took that off in less than a month.

In the years I spent messing with that thing, it was never right. The best it rode was when I had a simple 1.75" BB and no other mods.

So, when I get my JKU, and am ready to lift it, I will be buying a complete kit, with all the needed parts, steering correction, great shocks, etc. I'm not going to worry about the higher up-front cost, as it will be done RIGHT the first time, and much cheaper in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts