Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New jeep owner here, so bear with me. I just got my first jeep a 2017 Sahara Unlimited smoky mountain edition. It has every option, some of them I could care less about… The one thing I do kind of miss is the automatic temperature control for the heat and air-conditioning. Is there a way then I can upgrade my standard heating and air-conditioning controls to the optional thermostat automatic controls?

I stopped in my local Jeep dealership and they were not of much help and said not only no but hell no, it is more than just the knobs the ductwork dampers and everything are different. I really miss this feature and I would be willing to put a few hundred dollars into switching over. I just wanted to see if there’s ever been done or what all it would take

Thanks for any input or experience

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

A pictures worth 1000 words, thanks again for any input on a swap like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know about retrofitting it into your Jeep but I have a 2012 Sahara with the factory automatic temperature control system and it doesn't work worth a flip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know about retrofitting it into your Jeep but I have a 2012 Sahara with the factory automatic temperature control system and it doesn't work worth a flip.

That kind of feedback makes me feel better about possibly not being able to switch it out. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
100,675 Posts
I have it, and prefer to operate it manually.

Its like my Thermostat in my home has all of these programmable features. I just hit the hold button, and set it manually where I want it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
+1 for having the automatic temp control, and not liking it and never using it.

IMO, it is not worth the trouble to add it, its not that great of a feature. I would rather turn heat or A/C on or off myself.

Same thing with the auto headlights, don't use it or like it. I would rather know when they are on or off.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
in reality it is possible, you just need the control head and that little temp probe that sits to the lower right of the wheel, some minor programming of the computer may be required....as for it being "worth" it........are you wanting a cryogenics lab starter kit or the bowels of hell level starter kit? take your pick!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
funny thing is I have had it in my last 3 jeeps and in the first 2 never ever used it. In my 2018 Recon I use it all the time. It was one of those things I never cared about or thought about, but one figured I would start using it and now I have it set on about 66 and now the only time I do not use it is in the winter when I have to defrost the windows.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I must be in the minority . I have it on both of my jeeps and use it every time I'm in the vehicle so much easier controls everything for you and all you do is turn one knob.
Use it as needed because half the time it's half naked.
I believe it is only about $160 option back in 2013 once again I think it's well worth it.
Good luck on working on it.
Eads

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have has auto temp control in 2 previous cars and in a word they suck. I have a 2017 JK and it has just about every option but auto transmission and temp control and that is the way I wanted it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just wondering what part "sucks"? We have 2 Jk and accord and 2 Lexus and all have them with no issues. Tends to eliminate the human error with my kids or wife.
It works just like a nest at home. Just set it and go.
Each their own.
Eads

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
I think it is like the hill start assist, if you understand how it works you are likely to find it useful but if you don't understand how it works you are likely to decide that it sucks.
We have it, we use it sometimes and other times we don't. But in some cases it sure beats reaching down and adjusting the system colder or hotter over and over.

·
Registered
110 Posts
in reality it is possible, you just need the control head and that little temp probe that sits to the lower right of the wheel, some minor programming of the computer may be required....as for it being "worth" it........are you wanting a cryogenics lab starter kit or the bowels of hell level starter kit? take your pick!
He’s right it can be done but you also have to tie into the sunlight probe that’s on the dash for the auto headlights. I don’t think the computer had any programming changes. Just the new head controls and the probes. There is an in-depth guide listed somewhere on this forum. I’ll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
just out of curiosity could someone with the sunsensor thing installed (apparently its needed for either auto AC or auto head lamps which is understandable) possibly post up a picture of its location installed in your JK? I am thinking of dropping in one and enabling the auto headlamp function (I know I will possibly have to also swap out the MF stalk but I am ok with that)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Guess I'll be the odd man out... With exception to my '03 Grand Prix and the '00 Intrepid I had use of way back in the day, every car I've owned has had auto climate control. My Charger even had dual zone... that was nice... greatly reduced the noise coming from my passenger seat...

Anyway, I ordered my '16 JKU Sahara with the automatic temp controls (in spite of the naysayers here recommending against it) and I leave it in auto mode all the time. So far I have very rarely taken it out of auto mode, and that's only if I briefly needed the air to come from a particular vent, or at a particular speed, or I shut it off to drive with the windows down.

Works very well for me. Not as good as the ATC in my 300M, which also has a very nice diagnostic procedure with screen to display error codes (came in real handy after replacing my evaporator core and not realizing I reinstalled the mode door actuator incorrectly). I wouldn't be mad if I didn't have it, but I'm quite happy having it. I only wish it was dual zone rather than passenger-zone... happy wife happy life...

As for making the swap, I couldn't tell you. In the LH series of cars that did not have that ATC, you needed to install the ATC head itself, the sun sensor if you didn't already have it, and the appropriate dash harness. Possibly a body harness as well, but I'm not sure since I've only owned LH cars ('01 Intrepid, '02 300M) with factory ATC. I can't imagine the Jeep is any different. The control head, sun sensor, dash harness, and possible a dealer flash of the CAN-BUS to activate it.

Side note: Dealers will almost always say HELL NO when you ask about adding factory options after it has been built. They told us the same thing when the original 5" non-nav radio shit the bed in our Meep (mini Jeep... '16 Renegade Trailhawk) and we wanted to swap in the 6.5" navigation radio. Radio swapped right in and only needed the dealer to program the serial number into the Jeep and perform a proxy alignment to get it to work. Works flawlessy... but I digress.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
just out of curiosity could someone with the sunsensor thing installed (apparently its needed for either auto AC or auto head lamps which is understandable) possibly post up a picture of its location installed in your JK? I am thinking of dropping in one and enabling the auto headlamp function (I know I will possibly have to also swap out the MF stalk but I am ok with that)
the only thing I can think of that would be a sun sensor is on the review mirror. Not sure how it would work for the auto climate control tho. I know there is a sensor down on the dash below the ignition that I always thought was a sensor for the auto climate. not sure on either tho.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts

The sun sensor for the auto headlights is on the dash just in front of the center storage tray. This is from outside, looking in through the windshield

a.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts