Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is closing in on winter in CO I am planning my summer addition to my 98 TJ, and I was thinking of upgrading my 4in Suspension lift to a 6in lift. And moving from 34in tires to 37. I somewhat understand that Im looking at around 4,000 $ in just the lift and tires but I'm assuming that a lot needs to change for my car to ride that high. Any input is amazing just thinking it out a lot before hand so if it works out i don't have to plan it all then and i already have a plan now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Rubicon axle dana 44 I believe, Rancho shocks, and stock steering. Previous owner did some ghetto stuff to it so im cautious. I think he cut corners on a lot of things to save money. But I hope that answers those questions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am lifting my Tj sorry if I was not clear. it is lifted at 4 in and I was thinking of going to 6 in

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You'll probably need more than 4k unless you can fab stuff. Stock steering isn't going to last long. You'll need to beef up your tie rod at minimum and most likely a Durango steering box. Tires drastically increase in price over 35"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would you suggest is a happy middle, a 5in lift and a bigger body lift? and 36in tires?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
What would you suggest is a happy middle, a 5in lift and a bigger body lift? and 36in tires?
Do you have lockers? Lockers would be more useful than an inch and a half more axle clearance. For 4k you could put ARBs front and rear and do a proper regear if it wasn't done already.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have front and rear lockers, electric. the only thing that I would be willing on upgrading is getting a new engine block and working on that and replacing all that, or gas shocks

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
How about a tummy tuck? Get rid of that shovel and gain clearance where it really matters. Tire size and axle clearance for the most part can be made up for by putting the tires on the tall stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven not heard of that BLK please educate me if you have the time? or post a link where I can read up on that. Also I am worried I have half of a lift that is what is causing some of the want of the upgrade. the previous owner did not do a lot of quality work in a majority of the places. I am going to have it looked at to see if everything is there.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I haven not heard of that BLK please educate me if you have the time? or post a link where I can read up on that. Also I am worried I have half of a lift that is what is causing some of the want of the upgrade. the previous owner did not do a lot of quality work in a majority of the places. I am going to have it looked at to see if everything is there.
Basically, it is a way of taking that ugly stock skid plate that likes to catch on everything it can and throwing it in the trash. A smooth, flat skid replaces it and tucks the TC up neatly between the frame rails. Not only does it give you at least a few inches more clearance, but since it is also smooth and flat you can in many case just slide right over stuff with it as long as your tires are still digging. There are some step that need to be done in order to do this. A body lift and motor mount lift are needed to create the room since your transmission and TC are going to move up. A SYE and CV driveshaft is mandatory since you will be increasing the angle of your rear driveshaft. There are varying amounts of clearance gained based on what skid you get from 2" to all but a 1/4" below the rails.

Search the TJ forum for "tummy tuck" and you'll find a bunch of builds that used them. I'll be doing mine in the spring after a buddy of mine works out all the kinks with his. He's having issues with building a crossmember and exhaust routing.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 why do you say that?
Wheeling off camber hanging on the edge of a 500+ ft cliff, the last thing you want is a higher center of gravity.

You can do ~85% of Colorado on 33s and 2.5" SL /1.25" BL set up well. You can get maybe ~95% with 4" SL /1.25" BL and 35s set up well with armor and lockers. The other 5% basically needs a buggy on 40s.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BLK i have a 1 inch body lift and motor mounts and I just got a new drive shaft. And my current skid plate is very beat up and I have noticed that it hangs annoyingly low. So I will look that up, if i have to get another new drive line that will be annoying seeing how this one is brand new and was a pain getting it. And UnlimitedLJ I have noticed that, but recently i had issues on one of the trails near that plain crash ( I forget the name of the trail) we got lost a bit and wandered on a tad bit of a harder area and i barely made it past some of the parts. Maybe I misjudged, i am not as experienced as I wish I could claim I am haha. But if pieces of my lift are missing or not there or not up to par with the rest then I would rather upgrade then rebuild the current one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way thank you all very much for helping me it means a lot seeing how I love my jeep more then anything and how much I still have to learn.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
And UnlimitedLJ I have noticed that, but recently i had issues on one of the trails near that plain crash ( I forget the name of the trail) we got lost a bit and wandered on a tad bit of a harder area and i barely made it past some of the parts. Maybe I misjudged, i am not as experienced as I wish I could claim I am haha. But if pieces of my lift are missing or not there or not up to par with the rest then I would rather upgrade then rebuild the current one.
you don't need more lift, you need to learn better driving skills.

I've been on Plane Crash before, btw.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Springs are springs when it comes to offroad IMO. As long as they do the job of keeping your frame off the axle they are fine. Making a soft ride is mostly the shocks job. If you have the Rancho 9000xls shocks, they should be perfectly fine. I have them and put them on the stiffest setting when I go offroad. Around town I keep near the middle on the front and soft in the back since I don't have a rear seat or tire carrier. Now if you have the 5000 series shocks, you may want to looking into better ones.

What control arms do you have? There's another upgrade that should be easy and under your 4k benchmark. Currie, Savvy, Rokmen, and Claytons are top of the line with JJ ends and offer plenty of flex.

Stock steering for you can be upgraded with a $75 ZJ tie rod.

So what problems did you have on that trail? That may help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts