Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JK wrangler 2dr sport with about 9000 miles....my friend has a 2012 JK rubicon 4dr- he just had a lift, new tires suspension etc done.....he GAVE me his shocks/springs from his Rubicon which has about 20000 miles....
the springs look considerably bigger and beefier than mine, shocks look better too.....
pros and cons of installing them on my 2014? Thanks!

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,226 Posts
The Rubicon Shocks are a nice upgrade.

As for the springs, look at the last two digit numbers on the spring tags.
Fronts range from 12 to 19, the rears are 53 to 60.

The higher the number, the more lift that you will receive.

View attachment 1657498

^^^This is what the spring tags look like!!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
As above, it's an easy and cheap upgrade and worth the small amount of time to do.

As Old Dogger says above, check the numbers on the tags and look at the last 2 numbers to compare. For each increase in number, you can expect approximately 1/4 of lift. For example, from 14 to 18 fronts you can expect close to 1" give or take a little. I think most people get a tiny bit more...

There aren't Rubi specific springs, they all can be on any Wrangler, but the shocks are Rubi specific and offer an improvement in control like when going over a speed bump, etc.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The price may be right but it still takes the same amount of work to install them as a lift kit that will provide defined results. The 10A coils are worth it because they give you max lift (from stock coils) and they level your JK. Other Rubi coils provide questionable improvements and will not level it. Consider getting a budget instead.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The price may be right but it still takes the same amount of work to install them as a lift kit that will provide defined results. The 10A coils are worth it because they give you max lift (from stock coils) and they level your JK. Other Rubi coils provide questionable improvements and will not level it. Consider getting a budget instead.
But, what about spring rate? Isn't that also a consideration when choosing your spring sets? I would think that the spring rate would be "stiffer" for an Unlimited Rubicon. If the OP is not interested in lift, the extra stiffness offered by those springs and shocks may be just what is needed for the type of offroading he does.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I did this swap from 14/55 to 18/59 I was told I would gain about 1/2 inch per increase in number. This info was pretty accurate for me. I gained 2" up front and 1.5" in the back it leveled out nicely and there is a noticable difference when parking next to a stock jeep. I have before and after and during the install pics along with a pick of me next to another 2 door stock jeep on my build thread... Pmryall's long haul build

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out i have 17 and 59....gettin her done tomorrow. ...let u know how it goes....thx a lot for all the feedback!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
But, what about spring rate? Isn't that also a consideration when choosing your spring sets? I would think that the spring rate would be "stiffer" for an Unlimited Rubicon. If the OP is not interested in lift, the extra stiffness offered by those springs and shocks may be just what is needed for the type of offroading he does.
You make a good point. Yes, no doubt the stiffer coils will provide some measure of lift which is why most owners sway them out. The way the stock coils are designed they do provide several stock ride heights instead of a fixed height with a stiffer height. You actually get both.

Coil+shock tuning is also important. There are about 12-14 (plus front and rear and some cases left and right in the front) coil part numbers for any given model year and only 3-4 shock parts numbers. This means the shocks are specifically tuned for certain coil sets (probably in the middle of the range or Sport, Sahara, Rubicon) and those will provide the best performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well- mission accomplished- swapped out shocks and springs- gained about an inch at rear and half inch in front....now level though!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did this on my JKU (17/58 to 19/60 and Rubicon shocks) and while I did gain a small amount of lift, the major impact that I noticed was an improvement and ride quality both on and off road. I gained less lift than some most likely because of a heavy aftermarket bumper and a winch in the front and a pretty heavy audio system and steel security trunk in the rear. My JKU did level out a bit though. If I were to do it all over again, I would most likely save up for a cheap spacer kit between 2-2.5" and just slap that in at the same time.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I did this on my JKU (17/58 to 19/60 and Rubicon shocks) and while I did gain a small amount of lift, the major impact that I noticed was an improvement and ride quality both on and off road. I gained less lift than some most likely because of a heavy aftermarket bumper and a winch in the front and a pretty heavy audio system and steel security trunk in the rear. My JKU did level out a bit though. If I were to do it all over again, I would most likely save up for a cheap spacer kit between 2-2.5" and just slap that in at the same time.
you didn't gain much lift because you swapped springs with nearly identical springs. Usually only jk's putting JKU springs see any significant lift increase. But yours im sure countered the heavy winch a little so you didn't see quite the amount of sagging you would have had you not swapped them out. I agree with you, for your application a spacer block in conjunction with your spring swap would be ok.

·
Registered
93 Posts
you didn't gain much lift because you swapped springs with nearly identical springs. Usually only jk's putting JKU springs see any significant lift increase. But yours im sure countered the heavy winch a little so you didn't see quite the amount of sagging you would have had you not swapped them out. I agree with you, for your application a spacer block in conjunction with your spring swap would be ok.
Yeah, I honestly didn't expect to gain much lift. I made the switch more for the improvement in the actual feel on and off road, and that I managed to get in spades. There really is a big difference between the two spring and shock setups. Obviously the ride quality was more affected by the much better Rubicon shocks, but I'm sure the slightly stiffer springs helped some too. I'm glad I did the change even if I didn't get much lift from the springs.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
It was the Rubi shocks that made that handling difference for you. There is NO difference in springs between Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon. All models can have any combination of spring, it is totally dependent on options. Dual top max top comes with the heaviest springs. General rule of thumb it takes at least a 3 step spring swap (56 to 59) to notice any difference. Most people will swap out weak 2dr springs for the heavier 4dr (59-60) springs.
Rubicon 10A or Rubicon X is they exception as they come factory with a 2" lift spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was the Rubi shocks that made that handling difference for you.
I am sure, based on what I know about coil springs, going from 17/58 to 19/60 made, as I said, a slight but certain difference in ride quality and they did raise the rear slightly and level out the front with the bumper and winch on.

There is NO difference in springs between Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon.
No kidding, which is why I didn't say that I installed "Rubicon springs" (there's no such thing), I distinctly said I installed slightly stiffer springs and Rubicon shocks (which are very different from the Sport model shocks I had).

·
Registered
135 Posts
IS going from the Sahara shocks to Rubicon shocks really noticeable? Is it worth it? All other things the same (both with 19/60 springs), would it gain anything?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts