Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished upgrading my stock 2015 JKU to 33" Goodyear Duratrac 285R7017 and American Outlaw Hollywood 17"x8.5 wheels with a -10mm offset (~4.375 backspacing). I really like the wider stance and more rugged look and I'm very happy with how far outside the fenders the tires stick (about 1").

I'm getting a very minor rub at full turn on the air dam and will likely trim the air dam with a dremmel this weekend.

For those curious here are the before and after pictures.

Before:
IMG_5091.jpg

After:
IMG_5094.jpg
IMG_5093.jpg
IMG_5096.jpg
IMG_5097.jpg

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looks great. Now just raise the front an inch and it will look even better. Too much lift on 33" tires looks out of place IMO.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,015 Posts
Looks awesome!

Personally I would go with the Teralfex Leveling Kit next. This way it'll give you some more clearance around your new wheels and tires, but at the same time you'll retain your factory ride quality since you're only adding some spacers and new sway bar links.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions!

-Jake

·
Registered
57 Posts
looking real good, I've always been a fan of black wheels on white. I agree, a leveling kit would be perfect!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree on the leveling kit. I wanted to get the wheels and tires on first and then figure out what I need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been looking at similar wheels with the -10mm offset....that's where your problem I believe is. The backspace is 4.6 not 4.375. This has been the reason why I haven't pulled the plug on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I have been looking at similar wheels with the -10mm offset....that's where your problem I believe is. The backspace is 4.6 not 4.375. This has been the reason why I haven't pulled the plug on them.

OP stated that his wheels are 8.5" wide. Using the formula to calculate backspace from offset:

(8.5 + 1) / 2 + (-10 / 25.4) = 4.356 backspace

I believe you are thinking of a 9" wheel, which would result in 4.6" backspace with a -10 offset. You have to to keep in mind that backspace is a result of both offset and wheel width.

Also, nothing wrong at all with a 4.6" backspace. Most of the AEV wheels are 5.2" backspace and stock 17" & 18" wheels with 1.5" spacers are 4.75" backspace. Trimming or removal of the air dam (or washers on the steering stops) is a simple fix when you get into the 285 width tires on stock height.

Lots more info can be found at the thread below:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP stated that his wheels are 8.5" wide. Using the formula to calculate backspace from offset:

(8.5 + 1) / 2 + (-10 / 25.4) = 4.356 backspace

I believe you are thinking of a 9" wheel, which would result in 4.6" backspace with a -10 offset. You have to to keep in mind that backspace is a result of both offset and wheel width.

Also, nothing wrong at all with a 4.6" backspace. Most of the AEV wheels are 5.2" backspace and stock 17" & 18" wheels with 1.5" spacers are 4.75" backspace. Trimming or removal of the air dam (or washers on the steering stops) is a simple fix when you get into the 285 width tires on stock height.

Lots more info can be found at the thread below:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html

That is correct....I've been looking all am but only saw the 9 inch American Outlaw wheels with the -10. My bad!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts