Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live we have strict regulations about tire sticking out from under the flares. I currently have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 3.5inch lift and 35inch tires. I ****ed up my rear dana 44 so I am entrertaining the idea of doing a full dana 60 swap or just rebuilding the dana 44. Thing is, if I want to run the dana 60 full width I will need huge fender flares to not get pulled over by every cop. Here's a right up on what I may be doing:

Jeep Wrangler JK Junkyard Dana 60 Axle Swap - Part 1

I have looked into the Rugged Ride Hurricane Flat Flares:
Rugged Ridge Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kit, Black (Set of 4 - Front & Rear) - 11640.10 but even these don't seem to be large enought for what I will be needing.

I could use some suggestions and tips for this so I can make up my mind as to if it is worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but couldn't you manage how far your tires stick out by putting on wheels with a different offset? Of course that means extra expense which might not be an option but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I don't know of any fenders that will cover a 12.5 and full widths. A few of the guys have tacked on some truck mud flap material to metal flares to get past the fender rules.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but couldn't you manage how far your tires stick out by putting on wheels with a different offset? Of course that means extra expense which might not be an option but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Good luck!
That does stuff the tire under the fender better but if you have a wide tire, stuffing it in under the fender means it's going to hit things. You end up with reduced turning radius because you can't turn the tire as far. And I'm not sure but I think there are other things under there in the way that reduce flex.

I do have to admit that having wide tires that stick out past the flares isn't always the best thing. I get water and mud slung up everywhere on my Jeep.

On the other hand, not having your fender flares sticking way out and smacking everything is nice.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Chop the housing and get shorter axles. I'm that familiar with the danas so I wouldn't know if you could cut down and respline existing axles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd probably look at wheels for the H1. They're like +50 offset. The dana 60 in the link is like 2 inches wider per side. That would be like running a 0 offset wheel on stock axles. The tires wouldn't stick out too much.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Anybody notice this thread was started in may of 2014?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts