Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I upgraded from 3.73s to 4.56s..

currently running TF 2.5" susp lift with an upgraded TB and 315s..

recently installed a MORE skid (oil and tranny pan coverage) had to loosen engine mount bolts..

also replaced torn rear boot on DS..

I dont know if this was happening prior to this work or not, but whenever im at a dead stop and then lets say, give it the jeep good acceleration, i hear a creaking sound.. i went under to look, everything is button'd up..

any ideas on where to look for this creaking sound I hear only on take off from a dead stop?

could this be some sort of bushing or the springs??? its driving me nuts..

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Pretty tough to say, but i would start by getting a torque wrench on all the suspension components. Shocks, all 8 control arms, track bars.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty tough to say, but i would start by getting a torque wrench on all the suspension components. Shocks, all 8 control arms, track bars.

with all the work ive done.. ive never touched the control arms.. im currently at 20k miles.. and i hear this sound only when i aggressive on the pedal from a dead stop..

i might also say i hear it when offroading.. possibly a bushing or something?

i do take it offroading.. and the places i go are dry and super dusty.. maybe i need to lube up the bushings ?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
with all the work ive done.. ive never touched the control arms.. im currently at 20k miles.. and i hear this sound only when i aggressive on the pedal from a dead stop..

i might also say i hear it when offroading.. possibly a bushing or something?

i do take it offroading.. and the places i go are dry and super dusty.. maybe i need to lube up the bushings ?
The stock arms have no grease zerks, actually none of the stock components are greasable.

Coils properly seated on the rear? Coil contacting the track bar bracket on the rear axle, driver side (This happened to me)?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock arms have no grease zerks, actually none of the stock components are greasable.

Coils properly seated on the rear? Coil contacting the track bar bracket on the rear axle, driver side (This happened to me)?

i will def. look for some wear back there.. it almost sounds like its coming from under the front drivers side tho.

i had my coworker look at thing with me.. he hears it but we can tell exactly what it is.. and it only creaks when i really lunge the jeep.. like a normal take off from a stop, driving like a normal person, no creak..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibly a the driveshaft. If the boot was torn it could already be compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i replaced the boot.. the DS looked fine.. and cleaned it and lubed it up..

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
One of my springs makes a creaking noise from a dead stop almost every time. But you didn't do anything to the springs so you wouldn't think that would be it. Maybe the added weight compressed it enough to make it squeak/creak?
Everytime I spend time in Big Bear she always does a little extra squeaking/creaking here and there. Once I hit normal roads and/or do highway speeds it stops. I wouldn't worry about a little wheeling-creaking. Just dust in lots of places.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my springs makes a creaking noise from a dead stop almost every time. But you didn't do anything to the springs so you wouldn't think that would be it. Maybe the added weight compressed it enough to make it squeak/creak?
Everytime I spend time in Big Bear she always does a little extra squeaking/creaking here and there. Once I hit normal roads and/or do highway speeds it stops. I wouldn't worry about a little wheeling-creaking. Just dust in lots of places.

yea i gotta look for wear or rubbing marks.. but it kinda sounds like it coming from the front..

i installed the 2.5" susp lift kit a long time ago.. but nothing recent done to the susp..

if i hear any creaking or anything offroad, i dismiss it.. its expected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 2 cents is better gearing could have put stress on bolts that weren't torqued to begin with, I agree with other posters, I would spend 60 mins with a torque wrench and go through every bolt. 20K on a suspension upgrade, 100% chance you will find something, better to eliminate that as an issue and move on after that. IMHO.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2 cents is better gearing could have put stress on bolts that weren't torqued to begin with, I agree with other posters, I would spend 60 mins with a torque wrench and go through every bolt. 20K on a suspension upgrade, 100% chance you will find something, better to eliminate that as an issue and move on after that. IMHO.

i will re-check torque specs.. but i double checked everything when i was doing my susp

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Control arm bushing bind? Maybe loosen up all the control arm bolts, rock the Jeep side to side and jump on the bumpers etc. Then re-torque when the rubber is definitely not bound? Just a thought.

I will be replacing the lower front control arms very soon. they are actually sitting in a box in my jeep.. i have to go out of town this weekend and all next week.. sooo.. ill report back after the new arms are installed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I often get creaking as the suspension articulates. To track it down, since I can here it if I bounce the JKU hard enough while stationary, I get under it & have one of the kids bounce on the step slider on one side while I track it down.

In my case it is usually the bushes on the OEM sway bars, or in the ends of the links. One day I might get around to replacing them... Until then, there's always penetrating spray lubricant available!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts