Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a million threads on the subject of speakers. Searched a bunch and haven't found what I'm looking to get answered. I know its not going to sound like a home theater or a $2,000 system that I've had before.

I just put in 4 Polk DB651s. Dynamat and Polyfilled both soundbar and speaker units up front. Still running the stock head unit. I do not have the Alpine system.

The sound is a little better than the stock speakers as far as being tinny. I have to crank the head unit to power these speakers. The lows dont sound low and some songs sound majorly distorted when listening to metal or something similar.

I've faded the speakers to test each side out. I saw some info about the speaker adapters from Metra needing the pins to be switched out because the speakers are out of phase? I do not believe this to be the problem as all the speakers sound the same when isolated.

Is this just because the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive them? I ordered a Pioneer 2300nex last night. is this enough to get far better sound without throwing in an amp or sub? This is the last thing I want to do with the audio for a good while.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
What's the rated output from the new head unit? I'd guess any aftermarket head/unit would sound better than the factory especially if it's driving nice speakers. Like you said, the factory radio needs to be juiced up to power them well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the rated output from the new head unit? I'd guess any aftermarket head/unit would sound better than the factory especially if it's driving nice speakers. Like you said, the factory radio needs to be juiced up to power them well.

It's Peak is 50 watts x 4 channels and its RMS is 22 watts x 4 channels

I'm hoping that's all it is.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I noticed a big difference with a pioneer 4200 and just the stock speakers. Then I upgraded the speakers and again, an improvement. But of course I finally added and amp and it sounds really good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You’ll get an improvement with the upgraded head unit. But if you really want to show off those speakers, you’ll need to get an amp.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Polk DB651 speakers are rated for 6-60watts, stock deck puts out maybe 20watts, any aftermarket deck will do the same 20ish watts, 22 24 25, not really any difference.

You can't fit a decent amp in that space along with everything else you need, AM/FM/CD etc etc etc.
Find a 45 or 50x4 watts amp and it will be night and day at all volume levels.
You won't need to Max out the volume just for it to sound good.
You will need to run wire from the amp to the speakers.

·
Super Moderator
15,132 Posts
Two things... Although confirmation of the impedance of the factory speakers would confirm. The Polk's are 4 ohm speakers and the factory units are 2 ohm. When you double the impedance, that cuts the amplifier power in half. So if you had 20 watts, now you only have 10. It works the same the other way too. If you had 4 ohm speakers and put in 2 ohm speakers, your amp can put out double the power. Obviously, there are still limits that you cannot exceed....

Second, the Polks are 92db sensitivity... 92 isn't bad, but a 3 db increase is roughly the same as doubling the amplifier output. So a speaker at 94 or 95db sensitivity would be a big improvement....

I'd guess that you reduced amp output then increased sensitivity, putting you back close to stock output. You just need more "watts". :beerdrinking:

Reactions: bbortko and jaysong

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed a big difference with a pioneer 4200 and just the stock speakers. Then I upgraded the speakers and again, an improvement. But of course I finally added and amp and it sounds really good.

That's what I'm hoping for.

You’ll get an improvement with the upgraded head unit. But if you really want to show off those speakers, you’ll need to get an amp.

Hopefully later this summer once I get the lift in lol

Polk DB651 speakers are rated for 6-60watts, stock deck puts out maybe 20watts, any aftermarket deck will do the same 20ish watts, 22 24 25, not really any difference.

You can't fit a decent amp in that space along with everything else you need, AM/FM/CD etc etc etc.
Find a 45 or 50x4 watts amp and it will be night and day at all volume levels.
You won't need to Max out the volume just for it to sound good.
You will need to run wire from the amp to the speakers.

Can you recommend any amp that will work decently with them? Something that won't break the bank? Sounds like a more intensive project than what I was hoping for. I've gone down the deep hole of audio before and I can think of a bunch of other stuff I'd rather do to the Jeep lol. Was just hoping for a little bit of improvement with the speakers and head unit. Amp will come later.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
821 Posts
Can you recommend any amp that will work decently with them? Something that won't break the bank? Sounds like a more intensive project than what I was hoping for. I've gone down the deep hole of audio before and I can think of a bunch of other stuff I'd rather do to the Jeep lol. Was just hoping for a little bit of improvement with the speakers and head unit. Amp will come later.

These are hard to beat
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3FrwrHUxloL/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=75621810505&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439227185&awdv=c&awug=9002555&gclid=CjwKCAjw-OHkBRBkEiwAoOZql8BSiatn-0HCThhqxkIEKxyZig_XQZga_L3I6dtAVtzXKkgS-aReRRoCATsQAvD_BwE

Right at that 45watt for $150, pretty small so can hide them just about anywhere and really do work good with a good aftermarket deck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just an fyi I went with a 5 channel amp (pioneer gm-d9605). A few months ago it was only ~$220 but looks like it's harder to get and a newer 9705 model just came out. I think my 9605 is 75 watts per channel.

There are a ton of options so I wouldn't stress it. A good 4 channel 50 watt amp possibly would be ~100 - 150. But if you think you'll ever add a sub, a 5 channel would be a good choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Sweet thanks! Don't they make a bracket from one of the full WPA kits to mount the amps under the steering wheel and behind that panel?

Running new wires? So id have to run all new wires to each speaker? What about crossovers? Is that even an issue with my speakers?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an fyi I went with a 5 channel amp (pioneer gm-d9605). A few months ago it was only ~$220 but looks like it's harder to get and a newer 9705 model just came out. I think my 9605 is 75 watts per channel.

There are a ton of options so I wouldn't stress it. A good 4 channel 50 watt amp possibly would be ~100 - 150. But if you think you'll ever add a sub, a 5 channel would be a good choice.

Thanks! That could be wayyyy later on lol. But im a fan of future proofing so good call!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
This Rockford PBR 400x4D is what I went with. I like that Rockford tests the output of their amps in the QC process. Mine ended up being 132 per channel fronts and 127 channels rears. I have a separate mono bridge sub amp PBR 500x1. These amp push awesome power and are small and easy to find a spot to mount.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This has been said many times before .......
If you want it to sound amazing you must gut your system.
1. Aftermarket head unit
2. aftermarket amp
3. Aftermarket speakers
4. Aftermarket sub
Note. Do not run any wiring thru the system. You must run all speakers directly from your head unit to the amp then to the speakers.

The Factory setup is crap and no way can you make that sound good especially with the top down.

Here is what I have and I am blown away how good it sounds.

Alpine WRA I109 - head unit
Alpine PDX v9- amp
J/L Audio 8W1v3-4 Sub. - Will fit directly in stock amp box, holes will not line up but who cares, just drill and mount. This sub is absolutely amazing. My kids have smiles from ear to ear and I can feel the air moving thru my body. Its crazy good.

J/L Audio C2-650 components for the front , tweeters in the original spot
J/L Audio C2-650 coaxial for the sound bar

Its loud, clean , crisp and did I say loud as hell.

I installed everything myself and it was a breeze.

Dont try to make the factory integration with new components . It will give you a headache.
You have to run it from scratch.

hope this helps
If your in the area you are welcome to listen

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes that little powerpac is the bomb
had that when I ran things with the stock setup but it does distort .
Thats why I went to a clean install and bypass the factory setup all together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put in a Sony Mex-xb100 for a head unit. It actually puts out over 40 watts per channel in 4 ohms and about 70 watts at 2 ohms. Also has a built in crossover so you can send only the highs to the regular speakers. It is running Polk speakers. Sounds great but very little bass. So the system grew to a Rockford P3D4 12” and a Rockford R1200-1D. System sounds amazing now and crystal clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was...and still am in a similar situation. Have a stock HU, replaced fronts and sound bar with J/L Audio C2-650. They have an amp running to them. Sound better but need to be turned up to have quality sound. I’m researching subs as I want more. Contemplating a JL stealthbox. It’s $$$ but lose minimal space in the rear of the Jeep. Also looking at a Kicker hideaway. Has anyone purchased either? Looking for feedback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There have been a million threads on the subject of speakers. Searched a bunch and haven't found what I'm looking to get answered. I know its not going to sound like a home theater or a $2,000 system that I've had before.

I just put in 4 Polk DB651s. Dynamat and Polyfilled both soundbar and speaker units up front. Still running the stock head unit. I do not have the Alpine system.

The sound is a little better than the stock speakers as far as being tinny. I have to crank the head unit to power these speakers. The lows dont sound low and some songs sound majorly distorted when listening to metal or something similar.

I've faded the speakers to test each side out. I saw some info about the speaker adapters from Metra needing the pins to be switched out because the speakers are out of phase? I do not believe this to be the problem as all the speakers sound the same when isolated.

Is this just because the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive them? I ordered a Pioneer 2300nex last night. is this enough to get far better sound without throwing in an amp or sub? This is the last thing I want to do with the audio for a good while.

Thanks for any help!

I installed the Kenwood marine 6.5” speakers into my sound bar and lost all lows. I added a small 10” sub and amp and tapped Into the front speakers instead of the rear and it gives a great sound for low cost and I still have my factory head unit. Easy install and cost effective. Crutchfield.com is a GREAT place to get info and equipment.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What is the rating (watts) of your HU and the speakers (usually given per pair) you usually want your speakers to be as close to the HU as possible (per channel)

So if your HU on a single channel maxes out at 10w you would want your speaker (on that single channel) to either as close to 10w or slightly above

1 - 20 of 52 Posts