Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think i posted a long time ago not sure. You def need to gut it all and start fresh for quality sound. I did Jl mm100, m650 in front and added Jl tweeters on dash. M770 in the sound bar. 2 M8ib5 in the rear floor where jack goes. All ran off MHD900/5. The subs are being replaced by the 13TW5v2-4 as soon as i build the box and hang it on the tail gate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you remove the small (3.5"?) speakers from the system? I would try that first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was...and still am in a similar situation. Have a stock HU, replaced fronts and sound bar with J/L Audio C2-650. They have an amp running to them. Sound better but need to be turned up to have quality sound. I’m researching subs as I want more. Contemplating a JL stealthbox. It’s $$$ but lose minimal space in the rear of the Jeep. Also looking at a Kicker hideaway. Has anyone purchased either? Looking for feedback.
I installed the Hideaway in my JK. It is awesome. I have it installed underneath the driver's side seat.

If you're looking for loud bass you won't get it from the hideaway. It hits plenty hard enough for rock or country music. Rap music bass is too low and it doesn't handle it very well. I didn't care to have hard hitting bass and wanted something that would fit under my seat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
FYI, I have a Pioneer 2300 with those Polk speakers. The sound will be good. I want to add an amp later, but so far for my listening needs, I'm pretty good without the Amp. I'm sure you will be much better once the Pioneer is in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I skipped most of the thread, so this might have been mentioned.

The stock speakers are 2ohms, but the Polks and most others are 4ohms. That means less current from the stock head unit to the speakers & correspondingly less power. Which is why you have to crank the volume higher on the head unit for the sound level same output. And why an aftermarket amp or head unit fixes that particular issue, as most are designed for 4ohm loads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The stock speaks in the base system are 4 ohm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This has been said many times before .......
If you want it to sound amazing you must gut your system.
1. Aftermarket head unit
2. aftermarket amp
3. Aftermarket speakers
4. Aftermarket sub
Note. Do not run any wiring thru the system. You must run all speakers directly from your head unit to the amp then to the speakers.

The Factory setup is crap and no way can you make that sound good especially with the top down.

Here is what I have and I am blown away how good it sounds.

Alpine WRA I109 - head unit

Alpine PDX v9- amp
J/L Audio 8W1v3-4 Sub. - Will fit directly in stock amp box, holes will not line up but who cares, just drill and mount. This sub is absolutely amazing. My kids have smiles from ear to ear and I can feel the air moving thru my body. Its crazy good.

J/L Audio C2-650 components for the front , tweeters in the original spot
J/L Audio C2-650 coaxial for the sound bar

Its loud, clean , crisp and did I say loud as hell.

I installed everything myself and it was a breeze.

Dont try to make the factory integration with new components . It will give you a headache.
You have to run it from scratch.

hope this helps
If your in the area you are welcome to listen

This is legit. I really wanna see how much of a difference the new head unit will make. I'm hoping itll satisfy my needs while putting money elsewhere in her. then put more into the amp and a sub. I dont have the alpine system so I'm trying to put things in discreet areas. The waterproof sub and enclosure from alpine that goes under the passenger seat would more than likely suffice.

As well as maybe a smaller 5 channel amp for cheaper that can be mounted behind the glove box or something.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
FYI, I have a Pioneer 2300 with those Polk speakers. The sound will be good. I want to add an amp later, but so far for my listening needs, I'm pretty good without the Amp. I'm sure you will be much better once the Pioneer is in.

this is what im trying to do and am hopeful for. I need to divert my money into the lift and such lol. Amp and sub will come later unless its a killer deal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The stock system has small 4 ohm speakers in parallel with the regular 4 ohm speakers. They just rob power from the better speakers.

You can disconnect them completely or, for the front, add bass blockers. Try fading to a back corner and disconnecting that one and see if you like it better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also I can second the 445u amp with 8" sub recommendation. This is what's in my wife's jeep. It's not a monster system but it's pretty nice and you can hear it when the tops down.

If you do remove the small speakers I recommend leaving the front but adding the bass blockers. It brings the sound stage up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The stock system has small 4 ohm speakers in parallel with the regular 4 ohm speakers. They just rob power from the better speakers.

You can disconnect them completely or, for the front, add bass blockers. Try fading to a back corner and disconnecting that one and see if you like it better.

I'll try this out tomorrow for sure!

Also I can second the 445u amp with 8" sub recommendation. This is what's in my wife's jeep. It's not a monster system but it's pretty nice and you can hear it when the tops down.

If you do remove the small speakers I recommend leaving the front but adding the bass blockers. It brings the sound stage up.

Awesome thanks! I'll look into it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The stock speaks in the base system are 4 ohm.

Fair enough, my '08 came with the Infinity system. Those ones are 2 ohm.

The 'small' speakers don't really rob power, but they don't do much in the original configuration. They are tweeters that are meant to fill in the high end that the woofers cannot reach, (so the power in that frequency range is wasted on them, anyway), however the crossover frequency is too high to be very useful. So you won't get any additional volume by removing them & will just lose what top end they do supply.

Stock Tweeter Mod Is the thread I originally found the info in.

What you really want to do is replace the original crossover capaciter with a larger value, so that it lowers the crossover frequency & the tweeter does MORE work. Makes it sound so much better!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anything you do will make a huge difference in improving sound quality , wether a speaker upgrade of any kind or a head unit.
Just keep in mind (and I have gone thru this) as you make your system sound better your audio tastes will become more demanding and you will be looking for more.
Eventually you will have spent a small fortune of dropping items in that dont quite work well together. I wish I would have just spent the money in the beginning on what I have right now. It would have been cheaper.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
The posts recommending a new head unit are spot on. The factory radio is crap. Then live with that configuration for a while and see how you like it. It might be all you care to do. If not, then later consider adding an amp.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
...also keep in mind that you won't get any real bass out of the speakers that are in the factory locations. It doesn't matter what the specs say, the limiting factor is the size of the "bucket" that houses the midrange/midbass drivers. There just isn't enough air volume to do real bass. Realistically they probably wont do much below 70-80Hz.

So if you want deeper bass you'll need to start looking at subwoofers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Anything you do will make a huge difference in improving sound quality , wether a speaker upgrade of any kind or a head unit.
Just keep in mind (and I have gone thru this) as you make your system sound better your audio tastes will become more demanding and you will be looking for more.
Eventually you will have spent a small fortune of dropping items in that dont quite work well together. I wish I would have just spent the money in the beginning on what I have right now. It would have been cheaper.

This is pretty spot on. I did that with my Silverado and I wish I hadn't lol. Lost out on all that money. I'm throwing the head unit in today and my thoughts are, if this works then great. if it doesn't then Ill have to deal with it until a later point in time lol.

The posts recommending a new head unit are spot on. The factory radio is crap. Then live with that configuration for a while and see how you like it. It might be all you care to do. If not, then later consider adding an amp.

That's my plan. I'm putting the head unit in tonight and I keep telling myself this is it. no more until this thing is where I want it mechanically.

...also keep in mind that you won't get any real bass out of the speakers that are in the factory locations. It doesn't matter what the specs say, the limiting factor is the size of the "bucket" that houses the midrange/midbass drivers. There just isn't enough air volume to do real bass. Realistically they probably wont do much below 70-80Hz.

They are pretty crap even with dynamat. they still have that tinny sound when knocking on it. Fingers crossed i'll be happy with it. I need to find some money somewhere lol. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts

Probably closer to 100 hertz. I have limited mine to above 100 hertz because anything below that bottoms out the cone at higher volumes with no audio effect added.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There have been a million threads on the subject of speakers. Searched a bunch and haven't found what I'm looking to get answered. I know its not going to sound like a home theater or a $2,000 system that I've had before.

I just put in 4 Polk DB651s. Dynamat and Polyfilled both soundbar and speaker units up front. Still running the stock head unit. I do not have the Alpine system.

The sound is a little better than the stock speakers as far as being tinny. I have to crank the head unit to power these speakers. The lows dont sound low and some songs sound majorly distorted when listening to metal or something similar.

I've faded the speakers to test each side out. I saw some info about the speaker adapters from Metra needing the pins to be switched out because the speakers are out of phase? I do not believe this to be the problem as all the speakers sound the same when isolated.

Is this just because the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive them? I ordered a Pioneer 2300nex last night. is this enough to get far better sound without throwing in an amp or sub? This is the last thing I want to do with the audio for a good while.

Thanks for any help!
Here is what I did to my system. It definitely doesn't sound like a $15000 system but it is seriously night and day compared to what I had,which was the cheap base audio system in my 2011 JK.

I replaced my headunit with an after market Android headunit (Chinese, Joying). It didn't do much as far as sound but gave me all the features I wanted. Touch screen, Pandora,Amazon Music, back up camera, and most importantly RCA ports.

I dynamated, and polyfilled all the speaker areas and replaced the speakers with these:Mopar JEEP WRANGLER JK KICKER SPEAKER UPGRADE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SUO5QS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_tSKNCb5ZJX573
This still didn't do it for me

I then added a JL Audio mono sub and amp thinking that would do the trick:Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081K3M5G/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_8YKNCbZ4SN4ZC
And
http://www.jlaudio.com/cp110lg-tw1-2-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93323.
Truthfully, if I could do it again I would've went with a Power Wedge instead of separate units like this:http://www.jlaudio.com/acp110lg-tw1-car-audio-microsub-amplified-subwoofer-systems-93332
This made an amazing difference but wasn't enough for me.

This is what honestly put my system over the top and now I just smile when I turn up the radio.
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sk-m4004d-car-amplifier

I mean, seriously, wow! Once everything was tuned in properly it sounds amazing! When you look at the dimensions of everything it fits great in my 2 door and is almost completely unnoticeable but you can hear the difference!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here is what I did to my system. It definitely doesn't sound like a $15000 system but it is seriously night and day compared to what I had,which was the cheap base audio system in my 2011 JK.

I replaced my headunit with an after market Android headunit (Chinese, Joying). It didn't do much as far as sound but gave me all the features I wanted. Touch screen, Pandora,Amazon Music, back up camera, and most importantly RCA ports.

I dynamated, and polyfilled all the speaker areas and replaced the speakers with these:Mopar JEEP WRANGLER JK KICKER SPEAKER UPGRADE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SUO5QS/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_tSKNCb5ZJX573
This still didn't do it for me

I then added a JL Audio mono sub and amp thinking that would do the trick:Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081K3M5G/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_8YKNCbZ4SN4ZC
And
CP110LG-TW1-2 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - MicroSub? - JL Audio.
Truthfully, if I could do it again I would've went with a Power Wedge instead of separate units like this:ACP110LG-TW1 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - MicroSub+? - JL Audio
This made an amazing difference but wasn't enough for me.

This is what honestly put my system over the top and now I just smile when I turn up the radio.
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sk-m4004d-car-amplifier

I mean, seriously, wow! Once everything was tuned in properly it sounds amazing! When you look at the dimensions of everything it fits great in my 2 door and is almost completely unnoticeable but you can hear the difference!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I honestly have no problem following this for the amp and sub combo you have going on. It seems like everything is reasonably priced.

The only problem im finding is that i need every little bit of space i can in the back. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get one of the water resistant alpine subs that mount under the passenger seat. Not sure how people will be sitting right on top of it lol. Where did you end up putting the sub and enclosure?

Did you end up running new wires to the 4 speakers? I'm thinking the amp would be the first thing Id do before I get the sub. Any more tips as far as install on that amp? Whered you end up mounting that?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts