Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a million threads on the subject of speakers. Searched a bunch and haven't found what I'm looking to get answered. I know its not going to sound like a home theater or a $2,000 system that I've had before.

I just put in 4 Polk DB651s. Dynamat and Polyfilled both soundbar and speaker units up front. Still running the stock head unit. I do not have the Alpine system.

The sound is a little better than the stock speakers as far as being tinny. I have to crank the head unit to power these speakers. The lows dont sound low and some songs sound majorly distorted when listening to metal or something similar.

I've faded the speakers to test each side out. I saw some info about the speaker adapters from Metra needing the pins to be switched out because the speakers are out of phase? I do not believe this to be the problem as all the speakers sound the same when isolated.

Is this just because the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive them? I ordered a Pioneer 2300nex last night. is this enough to get far better sound without throwing in an amp or sub? This is the last thing I want to do with the audio for a good while.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The pioneer is 14w rms per channel with 50w peak. The polks are 6-60w rms. So the answer is it will sound good until you turn it up more than 1/2 way to max then it will distort.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it will make nice difference. The OEM radio cuts out bass. I did the same as you, replaced all of my speakers and was pretty disappointed. I then added an amp and used an audiocontrol LCi7. The sound was better with the amp but still no bass.The reason was because I did not have the LCi set correctly. Once adjusted, it was way better.

Long story short, your sound will be much better with the new head unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts