Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in an order for 37" tires for the JKU and outside of the expected regearing the axles I'm wondering what other upgrades are completely necessary for daily driving? I do some very light off-roading near my house and once the snow melts I'll typically take a few road trips up to do some actual wheeling during the summer/fall but mostly it's a daily. I already have plans for a big brake kit but other than that, are there things that are 100% necessary for daily reliability rolling the 37's? Looking to space out the budget a bit.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ball joints will probably bite the dust relatively quickly. Steering components (drag link, tie rod, track bar) will also not survive well offroad, on road they might be ok.

C-Gussets would probably be wise.

·
Administrator
16,984 Posts
Everything will be fine until it's not :)

For me the ball joints failed first, then tie rod ends, drag link ends and unit bearings.
Axle will be fine until you hit a pot hole at 75 or go off road, then you'll wish you has some C gussets.

And like you said, brakes and gearing to make up for what you lose :thumb:

Pay attention to backspace, depending on if your 37s are 12.5" wide or 13.5", you'll have to be pretty low. Around 3.5" or less for 13.5" wide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll definitely get some new ball joints with the install and C-gusset the axles before I do any form of off-roading. I got an upgraded tie rod and flipped draglink but unit bearings and axles will hopefully go into the budget a little later on.
Thanks for the help!
P.S. The backspacing is something I missed so I'll be sure to check for clearances.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have 315's on my stock front D44, no issues. Sure is a bug difference when you go to the 37's. The 37's look cool but besides the added cost of the tires, all the changes needed it's just not worth it to me.

Reactions: DIRT BOY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have JKU sport with a 3" lift with new upper and lower control arms, track bar, drag link, etc. So I do have a dana 30 up front. I don't have any driveline upgrades as of right now because of the 33's I currently run. Down the road (pun intended) I'll definitely chip away at driveline upgrades like driveshaft, axles, and other things unless they're necessary for durability of daily driving it.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I have JKU sport with a 3" lift with new upper and lower control arms, track bar, drag link, etc. So I do have a dana 30 up front. I don't have any driveline upgrades as of right now because of the 33's I currently run. Down the road (pun intended) I'll definitely chip away at driveline upgrades like driveshaft, axles, and other things unless they're necessary for durability of daily driving it.
They're all going to be necessary for 37s on a D30.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Find a d44 from someone getting rid of it for a d60 and you’ll be good for a while. I wouldn’t invest in the d30 honestly. I’ve got a 2016 rubicon and ran my 37s w/o doing anything to the axles until ball joints failed. Then I installed everything and did sleeves/gussets. Heavy duty track bar, yeti/griffin system, falcon stabilizer and moved on. Has been a dream ever since.

While just a stock d44 I ran Moab a couple times (poison spider trail, golden spike, fins n things, and hells revenge). My thought was always, if it bent doing that then I’d get the d60 I wanted. When it didn’t, then I reinforced it and will wait for that to fail.

I’d recommend doing everything once and be done. Done piece meal it. Sure it’s cheaper, but you will just chase your tail if things aren’t right. And it will put added stress on things that are compensating for your weaker parts. Just my 0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
100,535 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have 315's on my stock front D44, no issues. Sure is a bug difference when you go to the 37's. The 37's look cool but besides the added cost of the tires, all the changes needed it's just not worth it to me.
That's why I stopped at 285/75s. 37s look good and offer real advantages off-road, but I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole from a mod cost and daily driver experience point of view.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's why I stopped at 285/75s. 37s look good and offer real advantages off-road, but I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole from a mod cost and daily driver experience point of view.
I Apologize to the OP For this...

Do you have a pic with 285/75 on your Jeep?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Like everything else, it depends how hard you are on it and where you wheel. I’ve run heavy 35s and 37s with no issues. I DD my Jeeps so they see a lot of miles.
The biggest challenge was making room for 37x12.50x17 Pitbulls. They are a big wide tire compared to other 37x12.50x17 tires. 3.5” lift, 1.25” TF body lift and flat fenders. Pinch seam had to be trimmed back. Rear factory bumper had to be trimmed back. My wheels are 4.75” BS and I still required wheel spacers to stop the wheels from rubbing at full lock.
As for bending breaking axles etc. again that depends on you. We have guys here that DD and wheel with 37s on D30/D44 for years with no issues.
Look after making room for the tires. Run them and keep an eye on things. Watch the ballpoints and tie rods and replace when they start to go. Keep an eye also on the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Like everything else, it depends how hard you are on it and where you wheel.

Wheeling 37s with a D30 is a lot like having unprotected sex, eventually there’s a pregnancy or STD coming.

Reactions: DallasRecon

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Yep, one day they’re driving along at 50 mph in the rain and don’t see the huge pothole filled with water and whammo.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
That right there is a bad scenario for any vehicle no matter how well built. Sliding off the hwy in snow at speed and hitting the ditch is another one. Something has to bend or break to absorb the force.
Insurance upgrade.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
The point is it’s a probability game. Run weak components and the likelihood of breakage increases. Just depends how much risk a person wants to take. I wheel solo by the border and do everything I can to stack the odds in my favor. If you’re at a park with 10 other vehicles it probably doesn’t matter much.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
The point is it’s a probability game. Run weak components and the likelihood of breakage increases. Just depends how much risk a person wants to take. I wheel solo by the border and do everything I can to stack the odds in my favor. If you’re at a park with 10 other vehicles it probably doesn’t matter much.

Agreed. I would do same in that situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts