Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has the 430N radio. Are the speakers nice or should I buy new? I am getting side steps and seat covers. Anything else y'all recommend.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I replaced the speakers in my Big Bear but I also replaced the headunit. SO many choices. Search over at crutchfield and it will list drop in replacement speakers. I opted for Morel speakers which took a little customizing but the sound is great.

What side steps are you going with? Eventually I will have to get some.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Typical cheap, paper cone, bargain speakers.

No, they're not very good.

Also, the 430N head unit doesn't necessarily determine the speaker type as it comes with base and Alpine stereo systems.

If your speaker grilles say Alpine, you have the upgraded sound system.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Are the stock speakers any good though?
In a word, no, assuming you don't have the Alpine speakers with the subwoofer recessed into the floor in the back. To expand on that: they're junk. If you pull them out, you'll be amazed to see how bad they are compared to decent speakers. Very lightweight and made of paper.

The stock 430N HU isn't as bad but lots of aftermarket choices run rings around it.

I recommend starting with replacing the speakers, then see if you like it. Stay out of the HU room at places like Car Toys and off the HU websites until you think you may want to replace the 430N. The stuff that's out there is vastly superior. You may be surprised at how good your system can sound.

As far as other mods go, the skies the limit. Get a couple of catalogs from Jeep accessory stores like Quadratec and Extreme Terrain. Consider car seat covers if you have a dog. Steel bumpers are so much better than plastic and will really spiff up your Wrangler's look and function. Tire carrier if you're going to do bigger tires. A lift and a winch if you're going to be doing serious trails. Lots of little stuff, like cowl covers and door recess covers to dress it up and make your own.

Have fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. HU sorry. I may go to the dealer and buy the alpine speaker kit orb sub unless y'all have. Better recommendation

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2017 with the 430N head unit, and it is not equipped with the Alpine upgraded speakers with the sub. HOWEVER, the speakers are still Alpine (8 speakers, no Alpine sub or amp). This came standard with the 430N head unit. Did Jeep upgrade the basic speakers for the 2017 model???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look at the tweeters on the dash. Is there an Alpine label on them?
I have an alpine label and my Recon was equipped with 430N only, no Alpine upgraded system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts