Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question

On my 2015 JK its wonderful but the exhaust is so quiet you cant hear the engine. Will upgrading the exhaust 1- throw a code 2- hurt the warrenty 3- make my Jeep run worse as in MPG and POWER ?

thanks guys

Ps Scott:worthy:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hope you don't mind but this is an interest of mine also. I would like to add to the mix is there anyplace I could find info about the db level of the stock exhaust and then the db level of aftermarket exhaust?

I would like to upgrade mine also but don't want something that will be TOOOOOO loud at speed.

Or is this requirement even obtainable?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree 100% looking for the same thing

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes i understand your prob. i had a 77 CJ 7 with 304 v8 headers and you could punch it and hear what the jeep needed [more gas or less] and it would have all tires spin and sling all the mud away with the tap of gas. these new engines do not have the same power of old. It takes awhile to get use to. there is a lot of exhaust systems out there. takes a lot of searching and get what you want. I would keep your exhaust for a while and later replace it./ have fun and watch out for ass holes on these sites when asking ?s. some are flat out pcs. of shit. this one is not that bad

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I Upgraded to the AFE system cat back. Sounds great. No codes. Warranty is going to depend as always. The AFE system is not a direct bolt on out of the box. You have to add a slot to the AFE pipe for the alignment stud on the stock y pipe. And you need to buy different clamps since the clamps that come in the system are junk. And the company doesn't deal with issues with their products.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dynomax my friends.
Appreciate that but why? Much louder than stock? Did you upgrade your air intake also? Any noticeable improvement or just better sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, so I recently started modding my JK, {13 4 dr rubicon} and I bought all the parts but only installed a few things so far...
1 shift knobs thought it was going to be really easy actually the hardest thing I did so far, had to cut the stock shaft down, the stock knobs are tough to remove, and the set screws on the knew knobs were really tough to tighten in at the angle my knobs ended up...

2- remote starter that works with stock remote, 2nd easiest, bought it on amazon for $115 shipped, took 10 minutes to install and works AWESOME, wish I did this a long time ago...

3- the exhaust, I bought the gibson Black stainless with metal mulisha tips, the install was SUPER easy {under 100 minutes, lol} and the sound is awesome, I have a hard top so inside its not super loud, and I dont rev my automatic jeep up much so I don't get it screaming, but the sound at idle and normal driving conditions is SUPER NICE...
I havent reprogrammed yet {I have to pick and buy a programmer}, but I have not noticed anything different in the driving power or gas usage since I installed the exhaust.

So for your questions, power and mpg so far not affected positive or negative, no codes, and as far as warranty I can not see why you couldnt just install your stock pipe back on if you were worried about an issue.

I have never heard anyone have a warranty issue by adding aftermarket exhaust, II did headers back on my z06, added an aftermarket throttle body, aftermarket clutch, ignition control, etc spent $20K on upgrades and then the car spun a bearing, covered under warranty with out an issue, then there was a top end noise, again covered under warranty no issues at all... That car was awesome as was the engine I am surprised it held together at all, had 16K miles on it 1/4 at a time...

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I like the aFe high tuck set ups. It is a smaller muffler in the stock location that is out of view and harms way once installed.

Here's a sound video.

http://youtu.be/GU9MMdafnRg

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I like the sound of the AFE system. If you can get over the fact that you have to modify it a little to fit, I think it is 2014+, that have the alignment stud. And you will need better clamps.

I also had problems with the pipe that goes over the rear axle hitting the top on the spring tower on right rear. I used some small hose clamps to stop with hangers from sliding too far on to the isolators.

But the high tuck is cool, almost not visible from the rear.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
as for the "codes" question, my 2013 was disconnected immediately after the CAT's for a few months while it was being built. I ran it quite a few times, no codes. sounded like crap though.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A question

On my 2015 JK its wonderful but the exhaust is so quiet you cant hear the engine. Will upgrading the exhaust 1- throw a code 2- hurt the warrenty 3- make my Jeep run worse as in MPG and POWER ?

thanks guys

Ps Scott:worthy:
1) Changed mine without throwing any codes.
2) Not concerned so can't answer.
3) My JK runs better with MPG and felt power. I also have a CAI but I installed the CAI after I ran just the exhaust. BTW, I also have the afe Hi Tuck.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I just had to get custom exhaust built from the cats and back. I didnt want anything behind my axle, in a 2 door there isnt a ton of room next to the evap canister, so I had a flowmaster HP2 installed. sounds pretty legit, but I dont generally drive my jeep on the street. it may be too loud for most. it only cost me $450 installed.

not my video- go to 1:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_miZ8YT448

1 - 20 of 24 Posts