Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first off this is my first post but I’ve been using the forums for years and have nothing but gratitude for all of your posts and insight that have helped me. Thank you!

I have a 2015 JK unlimited with the upgraded Alpine Audio package and navigation. I’ve been through 3 of the factory head units because they got wet. 2 were under warranty but the third was just outside the window. Im using it but the touch screen is gone rendering a lot of features unavailable, including the nav. I’m ready to upgrade! I’ve looked at several options with varying price points and am looking for input and opinions on what I should get. Note I have read through several older forums but technology changes so fast I thought I’d ask again. I’ll also add that I’ve invested a bit of dough to keep the Jeep running well for the long term as I plan on keeping for awhile. Probably 3 more years of me driving and then as a second vehicle that my kids can use. I say this to consider the investment a new HU might be.
Here are the features that are important to me in priority order:
CarPlay for Apple
Satellite Radio
Bluetooth
Back up cam compatible
All-weather (😄)
A factory finished look

Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
You won't get anything with a built in satellite unit, but most of them do come "SeriusXM ready", which simply means you have to buy the XM module extra. It all works the same way though once you plug the module into the machine.

Tha Alpine system is a pain in the azz to work around but any head unit will work with the alpine so long as it is 100% compatible with the idatalink Maestro can bus adapter, so you will have to purchase the can bus adapter too.

A compatible list of Maestro compatible radios:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won't get anything with a built in satellite unit, but most of them do come "SeriusXM ready", which simply means you have to buy the XM module extra. It all works the same way though once you plug the module into the machine.

Tha Alpine system is a pain in the azz to work around but any head unit will work with the alpine so long as it is 100% compatible with the idatalink Maestro can bus adapter, so you will have to purchase the can bus adapter too.

A compatible list of Maestro compatible radios:
Very helpful, thank you. I’ll add that I’ll have this professionally installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a lot in common. I have a 2015 JKU and am in the market to replace my head unit and have it professionally installed - I can do it myself but have other priorities to focus on. My list of feature preferences is like yours and I am most inclined to go with a Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX. Let me know what you are considering - I can use other ideas. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a lot in common. I have a 2015 JKU and am in the market to replace my head unit and have it professionally installed - I can do it myself but have other priorities to focus on. My list of feature preferences is like yours and I am most inclined to go with a Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX. Let me know what you are considering - I can use other ideas. Thank you.
Ill check that one out, thanks! I was looking at the stinger Height10. Not weather proof and pricey. Also the Alpine 407 I think. The new one that’s 4100$ or so. Just too much to invest. I think although it has everything else I want.I also looked at the Insane Audio unit, again not cheap. I just don’t want to save the money and then have it look like an add on or worse, not be able to use controls I can now. If I thought the reason the radio went 3x was because the UConnect is a system that is know to do that when it gets wet then I wouldn’t worry so much about the all weather part. But don’t want to ruin another one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
While definitely not the cheapest option, it's hard to beat the fit/finish of the alpine wra-207. It's not gonna have all the extra stuff an Android unit has, but it also won't have all the bugs, and is a direct fit install with zero modifications. It also makes the alpine premium system sound 100x better than the stock HU.

Honestly, I'd ditch XM/Sirius if you're going with Android auto/carplay. The sound quality is terrible, and it's a complete ripoff for the subscription. Once you have AA/carplay, you can stream whatever you want, at whatever bitrate you want.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ill check that one out, thanks! I was looking at the stinger Height10. Not weather proof and pricey. Also the Alpine 407 I think. The new one that’s 4100$ or so. Just too much to invest. I think although it has everything else I want.I also looked at the Insane Audio unit, again not cheap. I just don’t want to save the money and then have it look like an add on or worse, not be able to use controls I can now. If I thought the reason the radio went 3x was because the UConnect is a system that is know to do that when it gets wet then I wouldn’t worry so much about the all weather part. But don’t want to ruin another one.
Funny you mentioned Stinger... Today, I pulled the trigger on Stinger's Heigh10. Depending on delivery (and the impact of upcoming weather events), I should be able to tell you about it in less than two weeks. What sold me is CarPlay (and added the wireless adapter), fit/appearance, size, availability, expected ease of installation, and compatibility.

On another note, I agree with DizkoDan about Sirius' subscription prices being ridiculous for the crappy sound quality and so many channels I don't care for - I did negotiate them down in price and will keep paying them a bit for now. I plan to use Sirius directly from the phone rather than from a module on the head unit.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Funny you mentioned Stinger... Today, I pulled the trigger on Stinger's SR-JK11H. Depending on delivery (and the impact of upcoming weather events), I should be able to tell you about it in less than two weeks. What sold me is CarPlay (and added the wireless adapter), fit/appearance, size, availability, expected ease of installation, and compatibility.

On another note, I agree with DizkoDan about Sirius' subscription prices being ridiculous for the crappy sound quality and so many channels I don't care for - I did negotiate them down in price and will keep paying them a bit for now. I plan to use Sirius directly from the phone rather than from a module on the head unit.
It should be noted that Singer is not officially support by Apple. It doesn't mean the system won't work. It just means that Apple won't test any new updates with stinger. Apple updates are only tested on the officially supported devices.

The only units officially supported by Apple are:
Alpine
Blaupunkt
Clarion
JVC
Pioneer
Kenwood
Sony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While definitely not the cheapest option, it's hard to beat the fit/finish of the alpine wra-207. It's not gonna have all the extra stuff an Android unit has, but it also won't have all the bugs, and is a direct fit install with zero modifications. It also makes the alpine premium system sound 100x better than the stock HU.

Honestly, I'd ditch XM/Sirius if you're going with Android auto/carplay. The sound quality is terrible, and it's a complete ripoff for the subscription. Once you have AA/carplay, you can stream whatever you want, at whatever bitrate you want.

Thanks. Lots of good info here. I use a work phone and have already been called out as being one of the tile users of data. I didn’t tell them it was because I was streaming Spotify. 😁 Agreed about Sirius but I call them 2 days before my subscription ends and continue (for now) to get a decent rate. Im addicted to Alt Nation unfortunately.

I thought the Alpine 207 was discontinued. I think the one I was looking at is the newer version.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It should be noted that Singer is not officially support by Apple. It doesn't mean the system won't work. It just means that Apple won't test any new updates with stinger. Apple updates are only tested on the officially supported devices.

Alpine
Blaupunkt
Clarion
JVC
Pioneer
Kenwood
Sony
Thank you for sharing this info - I thought I had seen this before and forgot about it. I hope that this ends up being like so many other non-Apple products that work well and remain compatible for a long while. Jeep just turned 49k miles, so I am hoping to drive it for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes please @DeeMat let me know what you think! I’m not in a rush. I would like something before the nice weather but that’s months away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Alpine
Blaupunkt
Clarion
JVC
Pioneer
Kenwood
Sony
This is helpful as well. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts