Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note for my fellow Canadians who plan on upgrading the stock headlights.

The nearest I can figure the reduced voltage high beam used for daytime running lamps here in Canada doesn't play nice with the HID or LED replacements, the ones I've tried anyway. I had a set of the hellfires, fantastic light, started to flicker about 3 days in and about 60 in left me on the highway making my way home by fog lights alone, fun stuff. When I pulled them apart the control board was scorched and rebel replaced the entire kit for me. Installed the replacements and worked great for a week, then flicker, then after a month they would not switch off, had to pull the fuse so my battery wouldn't die. Then I decided to go with a set of the new quadratec LEDs thinking that as they require less voltage that the DRLs wouldn't kill them, installed the LEDs and while not as bright as the HIDs still a great light. I can't see the flicker in my garage on high/low or DRL but after a week or 2 when I'm in traffic the reflection of my lights on the car in front of me is definitely flickering, wonderful. So after some pondering, cursing and beer drinking I see that one of the options for the flashcal and procal is changing the behaviour of DRLs. Bought a flashcal, set the DEL to low beam rather than the Canadian spec and been running beautifully since October.

Sorry I rambled but long and short of it is that if you have a Canadian spec wrangler and want to switch to aftermarket lights you'll likely have to invest in a programmer.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't know if it would cause trouble for any vehicle inspections but could you use one of the direct to battery harnesses to bypass the issues from PWM?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, the hellfires went straight to the battery and just used the factory harness as a switching feed to the relay, not sure how that caused the brow/burnout as I expected it to isolate as the manufacturer said. Electrical matters aren't exactly my strong suit, just saw the same symptoms start for a 3rd time and had to change something.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

The nearest I can figure the reduced voltage high beam used for daytime running lamps here in Canada doesn't play nice with the HID or LED replacements, the ones I've tried anyway. I had a set of the hellfires, fantastic light, started to flicker about 3 days in and about 60 in left me on the highway making my way home by fog lights alone, fun stuff. When I pulled them apart the control board was scorched and rebel replaced the entire kit for me. Installed the replacements and worked great for a week, then flicker, then after a month they would not switch off, had to pull the fuse so my battery wouldn't die. Then I decided to go with a set of the new quadratec LEDs thinking that as they require less voltage that the DRLs wouldn't kill them, installed the LEDs and while not as bright as the HIDs still a great light. I can't see the flicker in my garage on high/low or DRL but after a week or 2 when I'm in traffic the reflection of my lights on the car in front of me is definitely flickering, wonderful. So after some pondering, cursing and beer drinking I see that one of the options for the flashcal and procal is changing the behaviour of DRLs. Bought a flashcal, set the DEL to low beam rather than the Canadian spec and been running beautifully since October.

Sorry I rambled but long and short of it is that if you have a Canadian spec wrangler and want to switch to aftermarket lights you'll likely have to invest in a programmer.
Thanks for posting this. I've been pondering which direction I want to go with the headlights and your experience here is definitely helpful. Where are you located. Where did you buy your Quadratecs and Flashcal??

·
Registered
694 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been thinking about getting jw speaker 8700's. Would anyone know if you have to get additional hardware to avoid this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up!
You need to install the an "Anti-Flicker (PWM) Adaptor" harness in between the LED headlamps and the Jeep's wiring harness to get rid of the "flicker" and to ensure the blinkers still operate properly. LEDs draw very little electricity compared to stock bulb lights causing the flicker. Quadratec.com sells the adaptor needed.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=97009+8901

·
Registered
694 Posts
You need to install the an "Anti-Flicker (PWM) Adaptor" harness in between the LED headlamps and the Jeep's wiring harness to get rid of the "flicker" and to ensure the blinkers still operate properly. LEDs draw very little electricity compared to stock bulb lights causing the flicker. Quadratec.com sells the adaptor needed.

Truck-Lite Pulse Width Modulation Adapter Harness | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec
Thanks for the info., new headlights are next on my list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As the poster mentioned the AEV ProCal is one option. I did the Daniel Stern Cibie upgrade with replacement harness and relays and have my lights set to only have running lights on during the day. Neither Mounties nor local police have given me any trouble.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I put the kc hilites led on my 14 JK and when they should be on drl mode, they flash like there's a dance party going on. I've just gotten into the habit of turning the headlights on until I invest in a programmer or find someone with a programmer that will do it for beer or cash

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reply to a couple posts above

I thought the quadratec lights came with anti-flicker built in, will have to double check the website. Bought the flashcal and the lights from quadratec online, ask them for a forum discount and they should extend their free shipping offer to Canada, be nicer if our dollar stopped tanking. No real reason for flashcal over procal, just liked the led over dip switches.

My lights did the same 'dance party' thing when I'm DRL, like little strobes.

I'm in Ottawa

·
Registered
599 Posts
A couple people are slightly confused or mixing up the issue.

Yes LEDs like the Quadratec do need the "anti-flicker" harness ( I think they are included from QT) do keep the lights from flickering in regular low or hi mode.
BUT, Canada specific (or anyone who has Daytime Running Lights engaged) has an additional issue that the DRL's will possibly flicker EVEN WITH the standard anti-flicker harness.

This is because DRL mode sends half-voltage to the high beams which LEDs and some other aftermarket lights don't like. To correct this a programmer (flashcal or Procal, etc) must be used to move the DRL to something OTHER than "half voltage high beams". So move the DRL to the fog lights or parking lights, or even full low beam and problem solved. The downside is more cash has to be spent on a programmer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A couple people are slightly confused or mixing up the issue.

Yes LEDs like the Quadratec do need the "anti-flicker" harness ( I think they are included from QT) do keep the lights from flickering in regular low or hi mode.
BUT, Canada specific (or anyone who has Daytime Running Lights engaged) has an additional issue that the DRL's will possibly flicker EVEN WITH the standard anti-flicker harness.

This is because DRL mode sends half-voltage to the high beams which LEDs and some other aftermarket lights don't like. To correct this a programmer (flashcal or Procal, etc) must be used to move the DRL to something OTHER than "half voltage high beams". So move the DRL to the fog lights or parking lights, or even full low beam and problem solved. The downside is more cash has to be spent on a programmer.
Nice. Thank you for the clarification!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered a set of 7" Grote led's and a AEV procal. With the procal I plan to run my DRL's on the fogs.

Can't find much about the Grote's good or bad so here's hoping they are OK.

·
Registered
271 Posts
But good intro here! Wouldn't think because of the DRL it would cause more flicker..
So if we get those truck lites or grote's we will need a flash cal?

Also hidprojectors.com looks like a cool option. There's a guy in Newmarket Ontario that's does the same thing called Wired Ridez. He's on Facebook under that

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts