Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Planing on upgrading just the speakers in the Sport version - DIY project. Also, maybe add sub-woofer if easy enough and out of sight.

Not going to upgrade the head unit - maybe that will be plan in the future, for now just the speakers.

Anyone has done this project or know the correct size for all speakers and is it worth the upgrade.

Thank you

·
Registered
818 Posts
It might be okay. Depends on the speakers. I first did the popular Infinity speaker upgrade, and they were way too bright for me. I went back to some Alpine speakers I've used in a few vehicles in the past, and they were better, but I realized that the stock radio couldn't drive them. Ultimately I gutted everything. So, YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like Spag, I did the front and rear 3.5" speaker upgrades, but I went with Hertz vs. Infinity. Like he said, it's a bit bright... and I think it's because the factory system uses 8 ohm speakers and have relatively lower sensitivity than the replacement speakers do.

The Hertz 3.5's that I bought are 92dB at 1W/1M and are 4 ohm speakers... so out of the box they are going to be louder than the 4" drivers next to them. I'm thinking about using some audio grade resistors to 'turn down' the output so that they can better match the 4" drivers, and perhaps adding capacitors as a 1st order crossover (6dB) to drop a bit of the bass signal to them.

I think I'll eventually just run multi-channel amps and a DSP to control all of the speakers... but that's down the road a bit.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I did same, very pleased with MOPAR Kickers.. direct fit, plug and play.. the lower dashboards are challenging. greatly improved the sound of the stock Sport head unit.
Later added 4 channel 100W per AMP.. this Kicked it up several notches & Sound Ordinance powered Sub under passenger seat.

·
Retired Moderator
100,481 Posts
Like Spag, I did the front and rear 3.5" speaker upgrades, but I went with Hertz vs. Infinity. Like he said, it's a bit bright... and I think it's because the factory system uses 8 ohm speakers and have relatively lower sensitivity than the replacement speakers do.

The Hertz 3.5's that I bought are 92dB at 1W/1M and are 4 ohm speakers... so out of the box they are going to be louder than the 4" drivers next to them. I'm thinking about using some audio grade resistors to 'turn down' the output so that they can better match the 4" drivers, and perhaps adding capacitors as a 1st order crossover (6dB) to drop a bit of the bass signal to them.

I think I'll eventually just run multi-channel amps and a DSP to control all of the speakers... but that's down the road a bit.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check out this https://carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade/

From what I gather it is easier to get the PAC Audio AP4-CH41 r.2 splice the speaker wires to the new harness, from there you can use rca cables to your aftermarket amp, and then now you can go to your speakers wire new wire.

If you are looking to just add an amp and sub, you need to purchase 2 47 ohm 5 watt resistor (get a few extra as these things can break easily), when going this way I just used the wires in rear going up into the pillars, you need to have one end of the resistor on the positive and the other on the negative, than on the load side you can splice in the speaker wire for your aftermarket amp.

With the second method you will need a line out converter, I used my old lc2i, however I did have to jump power to this from my amp, for some reason it wouldn't turn on with the signal.

here is a thread on the second one, https://www.wranglerjlforum.com/forum/threads/adding-an-aftermarket-amp-s.6568/

·
Retired Moderator
100,481 Posts
Dashboard speakers in my 2018 JL Sahara have blown twice. Anyone experience this? Recommend a good replacement?
Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts