Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering seems to fail intermittently, especially when the Jeeps gets a bit hot. I'm going to start with a fluid flush and make sure I have the correct fluid in there. My question though is if there is a system upgrade needed to handle 35x12" tires on a 4" lift? Do I need a heavier duty pump and/or steering gearbox? Any recommendations on parts. I don't have a problem replacing the power steering pump, but if the stock part is going to fail because of being overloaded by the bigger wheels/tires then I'd rather replace with something that could handle the load. My Jeep is also a bit heavy, it has some heavy duty bumpers and rock rails on it, plus winch.

Ian

·
Registered
970 Posts
I managed to get about 2 years of rock crawling out of my stock steering box before it started giving me problems. I just swapped out the pump and box with a PSC setup intended for the Hydro assist, just haven't finished the ram part. What a difference already! NO wander, steering is easier etc. 35X12.50 tires will stress the stock parts, so if you have the $$, go either to the hydro assist or the new HD PSC steering box ASAP...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to get about 2 years of rock crawling out of my stock steering box before it started giving me problems. I just swapped out the pump and box with a PSC setup intended for the Hydro assist, just haven't finished the ram part. What a difference already! NO wander, steering is easier etc. 35X12.50 tires will stress the stock parts, so if you have the $$, go either to the hydro assist or the new HD PSC steering box ASAP...

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the HD PSC steering box? Is HD PSC a vendor?

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts