Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AEV 2.0" spacer lift. Perfect for what I need in life currently.

Bilstein 5100 is what I have settled on. Question I have is there are two shocks available. Northridge rep says one, QT rep says another.

Since it is a 2.0" spacer lift and I have a roof rack, and AEV bumpers, should I run the 0-2" or the 1.5-3.0"? Pretty certain they are valved the same (all 5100 series) only length is different.

0-2" is $90 each
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/24-146715-bilstein-5100-series-gas-shock-rear

1.5-3" is $370 for 4 as a package ($99 individual)
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-complete-front-rear-shock-kit-1-5in-3in-lift

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
I’d probably run the 0-2 with your added weight. If need more just use the shock extensions that came with the kit

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
How much, if any, bump stop are you running. The longer shocks will likely need some additional bump stop over stock while the shorter ones won't. If you are running enough bump stop already for the longer shocks I would go with the longer shocks. But I would not add bump stop to run the longer shocks if you don't need it for anything else (like bigger tires).

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
looking closer both rear shocks are the same part number .BIL24-146715 that is basically the same shock just different valving that AEV uses on the 2.5 kit so you will be fine. I have run that same set up ie 2" AEV with the billys. Gawd I have run way too many lifts.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if I was going to run a different lift in the future I would run the longer ones. But this is a rig we are taking to Alaska from Texas (6-7 week trip) and will sell shortly afterwards and get into something next generation; JL or JT.

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
I think if I was going to run a different lift in the future I would run the longer ones. But this is a rig we are taking to Alaska from Texas (6-7 week trip) and will sell shortly afterwards and get into something next generation; JL or JT.
It seems, as jadmt mentioned, the shocks are the same shocks. The one link has the rear shocks sold individually and the other link has them as part of a "kit". The rears are the $90 each shocks ($180 a pair) and the fronts are a little more money, $198 for a pair ($99 each).
They look to be the same shocks.
Why the fronts are labeled as 1.5" to 3" while the rears are labels as 0" to 2" I don't know. They are all fairly short and likely could be used with no additional bump stop. It is odd that they rate the front and rear shocks differently. Maybe it has to do with the typical lift being higher in the front than in the rear.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh. Learn something new every day!

Bonus is I found the same 0-2's on Amazon $74 less. I've been ordering everything through Northridge. Great company for a number of reasons. Primarily that they have live updating on their site for inventory. I bought something yesterday and it literally changed from "3 available" to "2 available" after my purchase went through. Valuable lesson a lot of other companies (cough cough extreme terrain cough cough).

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And just chatted with Northridge. They will price match my find on Amazon. Amazon offer was actually from the seller Bilstein. Their ad says years 07-15 but the part number is the same for 07-18. And the price dropped from yesterday from $301 to $297.

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
And just chatted with Northridge. They will price match my find on Amazon. Amazon offer was actually from the seller Bilstein. Their ad says years 07-15 but the part number is the same for 07-18. And the price dropped from yesterday from $301 to $297.
NR4x4 has been stellar for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
Huh. Learn something new every day!

Bonus is I found the same 0-2's on Amazon $74 less. I've been ordering everything through Northridge. Great company for a number of reasons. Primarily that they have live updating on their site for inventory. I bought something yesterday and it literally changed from "3 available" to "2 available" after my purchase went through. Valuable lesson a lot of other companies (cough cough extreme terrain cough cough).
I would give Northridge the chance to price match. I would rather buy directly from a vendor who supports the hobby vs giving Amazon money for being a middle man.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
@Quadratec and 4WheelParts will pricematch too.
I just linked ET because it came up first in the google

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered from @Northridge4x4 last night. Had to call them instead of online so they could process it. Chad was helpful and did confirm that as stated above the parts were the same. They will look into taking the 0-2" page down since in reality the extended length exceeds 2" application.

Reactions: Hilldweller
1 - 14 of 14 Posts