Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just came back from great off roaring experience and had sooo much fun! My TJ is my toy and love it. Not daily driver. Her suspension is old and tires old and realized it would be fun to upgrade!

After reading here this looks like a nice lift with disconnects! And adjustable if I get a winch later on...
Teraflex 1456332 - TeraFlex 3" Performance Suspension System with Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Now comes tires and rims. I'd like to get 31x 10.5 but I read contradicting info. Some say max 31x10.5 with stock rims others say 33x10.5 will work but with new rims so hoping someone can clear up. 33s would be super nice and would consider new rims... and if 31s thinking of Duratracs.

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
33x10.5 will work fine on stock rims with 3" lift granted you adjust bump stops accordingly. Not sure about that lift. Someone will provide feedback.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You can fit a 33" on there but just depends on what look you want...

i personally like 32's with a 3" lift and 33's with a 4" lift to give you room to flex.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Big Cole! Nice to see I can save a few bucks and use my existing rims!

A fellow TJ just asked me if I could also do 33's with only a 2" lift. Do you know? He mentioned that'll keep my center of gravity a bit lower if only 10.5 wide.

If you have a recommendation on a 33x10.5 I'd be grateful! Again, my use is recreational driving and off-road! I have another vehicle for my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can fit a 33" on there but just depends on what look you want...

i personally like 32's with a 3" lift and 33's with a 4" lift to give you room to flex.
Less worried about the look than the performance but I know I may be in the minority :)

What about a 2" lift + 1" body lift and 33x10.5?

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Less worried about the look than the performance but I know I may be in the minority :)

that would work fine. staying on stock rims and a 10.5" tire will be good for not rubbing. if you choose an aftermarket rim with less backspacing or a set of wheel spacers, it will widen your track by a few inches and give a more stable ride and lower cog.

performance is always #1 in my builds

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hope you're planning a regear with 33's
I'm still learning so no, didn't plan on it. When increasing tire size, when do you regear?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

it isnt the width that is a problem...its the height. A 33" tire cant really go offroad without rubbing so you wont get much flex out of a 33" tire...as for "performance" you're basically going to lose in all categories.

A 33" tire cant go offroad well with your 3" lift plan, your acceleration will suffer, your braking will suffer, and you wont be able to maintain speed very well going up hills.

So, if you want to have best performance with the 33's on a budget...go with you 3" suspension lift, add a 1" body lift, throw the 33's on there, and then regear to 4.56.

with lift, install, regear, and tires itll cost you around 3k

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it isnt the width that is a problem...its the height. A 33" tire cant really go offroad without rubbing so you wont get much flex out of a 33" tire...as for "performance" you're basically going to lose in all categories.

A 33" tire cant go offroad well with your 3" lift plan, your acceleration will suffer, your braking will suffer, and you wont be able to maintain speed very well going up hills.

So, if you want to have best performance with the 33's on a budget...go with you 3" suspension lift, add a 1" body lift, throw the 33's on there, and then regear to 4.56.

with lift, install, regear, and tires itll cost you around 3k
Thank you very much! I now see no 33's as I don't have the funds to regeaer.

What's the largest tire I can go without the regeaer and what's the recommended lift for off-road performance? Assuming sticking with 10.5 width and stock rims for now.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts

What's the largest tire I can go without the regeaer and what's the recommended lift for off-road performance? Assuming sticking with 10.5 width and stock rims for now.
what is your current gear ratio and transmission?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

31x10.5 would be the largest without much noticeable power decrease

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Owen. Would 32's be horrible or just a bit less highway power?

Mr Jed, I'm pretty sure mine is 3.07 gear and came stock with 30x9.50x15.

Can't believe I forgot to give out: 4.0L, straight 6, 5 speed manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Thanks, Owen. Would 32's be horrible or just a bit less highway power?

Mr Jed, I'm pretty sure mine is 3.07 gear and came stock with 30x9.50x15.

Can't believe I forgot to give out: 4.0L, straight 6, 5 speed manual transmission.
even 31's on 3.07s are a dog. that is a gear ratio that jeep should have left on the shelf. I agree, any larger size will require a gear change

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
32's will be ok but you'll run into a problem with the 11.5" width...not sure if they make a 32x10.5

you could always use some washers to space the steering from the wheel so it wont rub full turn

Ironhead is right about gears, though...3.07's were a terrible idea lol

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all very much!! I'm very grateful for this lesson. I tried searching and it didn't all click like how y'all explained it!

For now I'm going to stick with 10.5" width to utilize current rims.

And until I'm ready to regear, it sounds likes 31x10.5x15 would be my best bet.

That said, is there any need for 3" lift? Or should I instead do maybe a 2" lift and keep my center of gravity lower and maybe consider new rims (or spaces) to get a bit more width for stability.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
32's will be ok but you'll run into a problem with the 11.5" width...not sure if they make a 32x10.5

you could always use some washers to space the steering from the wheel so it wont rub full turn

Ironhead is right about gears, though...3.07's were a terrible idea lol
Check out this:
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/75R16

These are 32x10.5 but on 16" rims. I could buy new rims and go for either 4.25 or 5" backspacing too! might be a nice compromise for now then when more cash is saved up go for a regear!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thank you all very much!! I'm very grateful for this lesson. I tried searching and it didn't all click like how y'all explained it!

For now I'm going to stick with 10.5" width to utilize current rims.

And until I'm ready to regear, it sounds likes 31x10.5x15 would be my best bet.

That said, is there any need for 3" lift? Or should I instead do maybe a 2" lift and keep my center of gravity lower and maybe consider new rims (or spaces) to get a bit more width for stability.

Thanks again!
I ended up needing to do a MML on top of the t-case drop with my 3" lift and I still have slight vibes. Always budget yourself to do more work than anticipated. I'll be doing my SYE within the next month or so.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Heres a pic of my 99 with a 3" lift and 32's (taken about a year and a half ago)

And yeah...as Yj, said...budget for more since it always happens. I just did a ford 8.8 swap, front chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears, and a heavy duty steering system...get it back and whatdya know, my pinion angle changed too much with the new axle so i now need to get an sye, cv shaft, adjustable arms, and some new front springs to level it out due to the rear being lifted with the new axle lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts