Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think it's time and definitely want to do them before winter time. I plan on getting IPF housings off norther ridge I suppose. Any better housings to suggest or no. I prefer glass and round style but will get whatever is working best. Also do I go with a low watt bulb and keep stock harness or should I go with harness and brighter bulbs. I am normally against HIDs but with new housings will they project well with a HID hi low kit? I would go 35w 5000k I like super white no blue. Only benefit is takes less power to light and def bright. Suggestions?

Also I plan to put some 3000k HIDS in my dogs. Had in old TJ we had and they rocked I love the yellow fog light look. Just going to keep stock housings.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or do I just start really looking into these LED replacements. I could imagine them being pretty awesome

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Personally I am going with the TruckLite LEDs, if you go IPF I would recommend a higher power bulb and a harness to really get the best use out of them. I will however NOT recommend HIDs unless you put a proper HID spec projector into the housing via retrofit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
HID..hellfire kit from Rebel offroad 4 tj. diamond cut housing plugs in to your harness as bright as led but 1 3rd the cost. super easy install.I like mine. They are bright and look good I think...:cool:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
HID..hellfire kit from Rebel offroad 4 tj. diamond cut housing plugs in to your harness as bright as led but 1 3rd the cost. super easy install.I like mine. They are bright and look good I think...:cool:
What housings are you using? I'm seeing the hellfire kit as being 230 on their site but you would need to change out the sealed beam housing which would add to the costs. The trucklite LED kit is 490. Really you would end up above 50% the cost and LED system not 1/3 the cost. Still you are putting HIDs into a non HID designed housing. Jeeps are generally lifted vehicles that already shine into other vehicles why add glare to that and make it worse for more people in traffic? You can actually see the glare in the pics rebel posted on their site for the hellfire kit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm going to look into LEDs. You'll probably never have to replace them once, unless they're damaged, and you can run them for wicked long with your jeep off.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TalkIsJeep said:
I'm going to look into LEDs. You'll probably never have to replace them once, unless they're damaged, and you can run them for wicked long with your jeep off.
I kno. Sucks its so much but it's defffff gonna be worth it. Idk if I like the look it has but. Guess what do I care ill be behind them. I may go e code and HIDS but. Idk something says led is gonna be the d it once and never look back idea. Sucks. I see lot of good luck with HIDs and adjusting them correct.

Not sure if I want 35 or 55 watt though cause I want white NO blue. I'll go 4300-5000 tops

·
Registered
280 Posts
What housings are you using? I'm seeing the hellfire kit as being 230 on their site but you would need to change out the sealed beam housing which would add to the costs. The trucklite LED kit is 490. Really you would end up above 50% the cost and LED system not 1/3 the cost. Still you are putting HIDs into a non HID designed housing. Jeeps are generally lifted vehicles that already shine into other vehicles why add glare to that and make it worse for more people in traffic? You can actually see the glare in the pics rebel posted on their site for the hellfire kit.
it is hid housing they sent the housing with the kit all for around 239,I have also saw one on fortecoffroad .I was considering JW speaker led,s at the time wich are trick but run around 799..glarewise I honestly have never been flashed the brights since I have had these.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you can afford LEDs, I wouldn't hesitate to go that way... I couldn't justify the cost. I went with IPF all around - E-code housings, Fatboy bulbs (the ones closer to white than blue, it's not a ricer), and wiring harness. Unbelievable difference from stock sealed beams.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't understand where the cost of of the LED headlights comes from. A 50 watt, 1,500+ lumen LED can be picked up for under 50 bucks...so what, like an extra 750-800 bucks for a lens, heat sync, wiring, and other cheap parts? There's gotta be a company out there pushing some relatively cheap LED headlights. I'm searching when I get home!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have IPF headlights with common supermarket bosch h4 bulbs, didn't need to replace the harness, though the lamps come with them. I really like them and they are way more powerful than previous sealed beams.

·
Registered
239 Posts
anyone find a price on the Trucklite LED's?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the Truck-lite Phase 7's (new complex optics style) and LOVE them. You can pick the pair up for around $500, and they are a true plug-n-play setup on our TJ's... probably took all of 15 minutes to swap them both out. The light output is considerably brighter than the stock lights, and the color is nearly identical to the factory HID kits you find on BMW & Mercedes. The blacked out housings look awesome, and only the top half lights up for low beam which adds to the cool factor in my opinion.

Personally, I don't love most HID conversion kits. I am a professional mobile electronics installer, and have installed countless HID kits that had faulty ballasts/igniters, so the lights wouldn't always kick on. Flick the high beams on then back off and it may start working again, but then the other side goes out... If you do go HID, make sure you get a quality product, not some $30 eBay special.

·
Registered
296 Posts
eboven said:
I have the Truck-lite Phase 7's (new complex optics style) and LOVE them. You can pick the pair up for around $500, and they are a true plug-n-play setup on our TJ's... probably took all of 15 minutes to swap them both out. The light output is considerably brighter than the stock lights, and the color is nearly identical to the factory HID kits you find on BMW & Mercedes. The blacked out housings look awesome, and only the top half lights up for low beam which adds to the cool factor in my opinion.
I LOVE the look of those! Dark enough to the point where I wouldn't want to black the lights out! Any idea what the lumen output is? I just saw a pair for $489 on eBay, definitely picking up a pair soon!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea. I mean $600 sucks to spend but. I am sure it rocks. Personally I saw pictures of them on at night and looks silly. Just not very jeep but does beat bright blue HIDs. I hope I am happy and these HIDs ordered end up with a controlled spread. Worse case live and learn ill sell everything loose few bucks and go LED but. I am thinking it will work out well

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wow! The cost of those lights are ridiculous. If you have the cash and want to spend it on lights then go for it. I ended up replacing mine with Hella Vision Plus. They have a glass housing and a huge improvement over stock. You might even be able to replace the HB2 bulbs with something brighter but not sure. Just a cheaper solution for me anyways, here's a link if your interested...
Hella Lighting 002395301 - Hella Vision Plus 7" Round HB2 Conversion Headlight for 45-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, TJ Unlimited & CJ - Quadratec

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
it is hid housing they sent the housing with the kit all for around 239,I have also saw one on fortecoffroad .I was considering JW speaker led,s at the time wich are trick but run around 799..glarewise I honestly have never been flashed the brights since I have had these.
They aren't very good at advertising that since the kit they have is drop in for a JK (no new lenses) I am also going to guess that the lenses they sent are not designed for HID use.

I LOVE the look of those! Dark enough to the point where I wouldn't want to black the lights out! Any idea what the lumen output is? I just saw a pair for $489 on eBay, definitely picking up a pair soon!
If the shipping is free do it, otherwise go through the Quadratec vendor on here and get them with free shipping for $500. I'm stoked to do mine in the spring since then I will have ALL LED lighting on the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts