Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total noob to these Wranglers, but having my '18 Rubicon JL a week now I noticed several running around with LED running lights in the fenders. After a quick net search I found a pic of them. Are these plug and play into my stock non-LED wiring? What models did they come on? Thanks for any help.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Typewriter Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had bulb turn signals and installed aftermarket LEDs. They work fine.
I have read that others suggested you need a capacitor to normalize the voltage and not confuse the computer.
The computer is programmed to think you have bulbs when you install LEDs they run at a lower voltage and the computer could think you have a bulb out. You could have the dealer flash the PCM with the data saying you now have LEDs OR run a aftermarket capacitor to trick the computer.
But like I said I didn’t do any of that and mine are working fine for a few months. Only unknown is I’m not sure if the aftermarket ones I went with have a capacitor built in. It was a plug and play.

·
Premium Member
9,452 Posts
1. All the lights have the same voltage rating - 12 volts.
2. LEDs consume fewer watts of power, typically about 1/3 or less. Watts are a measurement of volts x current in DC applications and in most AC applications.
3. The device used to make the computer (or flasher module in older Jeeps) think that it has incandescent bulbs is a resistor not a capacitor. The resistor must be installed in parallel with the LED light not in series. All of the lights in a circuit are in parallel, not series (such as Christmas lights are). One end of the resistor must be connected to the hot (12v) wire and the other to the ground wire.
4. JL systems were designed with LED lights in mind as opposed to prior Jeeps where the systems were designed before the LEDs came into use in automobiles. Most likely more tolerant of LED vs Incandescent loads.

Note: Halogen bulbs means the gas used is halogen, the bulbs are still incandescent, using the current across an element that heats up and produces light. Not a whole lot different than Edison's original light bulb.(using a cotton filament in a vacuum).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts