Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of headlight threads but was trying to see what compare to the trucklites. I’m thinking about moving my trucklite led headlights off my ‘13 JKU over to my ‘07 JK that I’m fixing up to hand down to my son (it was my late Dad’s). I like the more “white” light from them and wide beam that they cast. Have gotten to where I hate driving vehicles without that type of light from their head lighters.
Anyways, what other light options would you say give off a more “white” type light and cast a wide beam? I’ve read where a lot of folks like the Quadratech light and ProComp. But I read where ProComp was maybe having some issues. Most likely would try to keep them in the same or similar budget as the trucklite where when I bought them ($425 I think, so $500 or less).

Reactions: Quadratec

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the @Quadratec lights, and they have awesome customer service.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,525 Posts
I know there are a lot of headlight threads but was trying to see what compare to the trucklites. I’m thinking about moving my trucklite led headlights off my ‘13 JKU over to my ‘07 JK that I’m fixing up to hand down to my son (it was my late Dad’s). I like the more “white” light from them and wide beam that they cast. Have gotten to where I hate driving vehicles without that type of light from their head lighters.
Anyways, what other light options would you say give off a more “white” type light and cast a wide beam? I’ve read where a lot of folks like the Quadratech light and ProComp. But I read where ProComp was maybe having some issues. Most likely would try to keep them in the same or similar budget as the trucklite where when I bought them ($425 I think, so $500 or less).
Hey there!

I just thought I would let you know that we do offer a forum discount to all members on most of the parts that we sell! Just send us a PM with your info and the part number(s) that you would like to get a quote on and we will respond ASAP! Let us know if you have any questions! Have a great day!

-Justin

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard good things about the Quadratec lights as well. Just curious how the light and beam pattern compare to my truck-lites. Any input on this comparision?

Any others options to consider that fall within my budget and info?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the light color from the quadratec led headlights like? White, yellow, slightly blue/daylight look?

Anybody have the Light Worx Evo II headlights from Inspired Engineering?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I also installed the Quadratec LED headlights about 3 years ago and I am very happy with they. They light the road very well and continue to function perfect. The light color from the Quadratec headlights is white.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks @Freedom JK. Sounds like the Quadratec LED lights are a good option. Anybody have experience with the Quadratec Gen II vs the Quadratec LED Projector Beam? Would the LED projector beam be worth the extra money?

Reactions: Freedom JK

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I had been wanting to go Quadratec GenII LEDs since I got the Chief (factory LEDs). When they went on sale, I jumped on them. The ones for the CJ/TJ don't come with the modulator adapter that the JK verson does (not needed) so are a little cheaper.

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/2007-2017-jeep-wrangler-jk/lighting-lenses-bulbs/headlights

If I had a JK with incandescent lights, I would not hesitate. Some don't like the fact that they are not heated in the snow belt, but Quadrec does LED Projectors that are heated.

I have had the GenIIs in now for a several months and would not think about going back to incandescent. They do have good side lighting.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any thoughts on the JW Speaker 8700 Evo J2s? How would these compare to the Truck-Lites?

Reactions: JnrJeep

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any thoughts on the JW Speaker 8700 Evo J2s? How would these compare to the Truck-Lites?
Jw speakers are the best of the best. Can’t go wrong there

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depends on your budget and what type of beam pattern you can live with. Generally speaking, reflector-based headlights like the Truck-Lites and the standard QTecs will have a poor road pattern, especially when compared to a projector system. BUT, even a lot of the projector lights can be quite terrible. Essentially, anything on eBay or Amazon should be filed under "garbage", but it happily sounds like you aren't considering those options.

Currently I have the Morimoto Sealed7 HID headlights that used Mini D2S projectors. They're awesome and have blown away anything else I've seen to date, however they're not available any longer and I've found significant design issues with the housing and lens over the years causing multiple seal failures, so I'm on the hunt myself to replace them.

In order of road pattern quality, below is what I'm looking at:

1. Morimoto Super7s - Feature M-LED bi-function LED projectors that I have and enjoy in my 300M.
2. KC HiLites Gravity Pro 7" - Excellent output and road pattern, probably the best out there, but they jut out from the grille opening and look awkward
3. ProComp 2.0 - 1.0 has had issues, supposedly 2.0 is due out very soon (this month or next month), 1.0 has a good road pattern so I'm hoping that carries over to the 2.0 version without the issues

A lot of people fawn over the JW Speaker and I have yet to figure out why. The road pattern isn't egregiously bad (it's useable), but it looks very funky with that awkward cutline. I design lights for a living for the automakers and there is no reason to have that weird cutline seen in the JW Speaker, Morimoto Sealed7 LED 2.0, and I'm assuming the QTec projector LED lights that appear to be rebranded JW Speaker.

Options 1 ($495 list) and 2 ($700 list) are a tad expensive, but manageable if you catch a sale (TRS gives a good discount a few times a year, up to 25% off, and QTec might offer a discount on the KCs). Option 3 will hopefully be priced like its predecessor and can be had for under $300.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Generally speaking, reflector-based headlights like the Truck-Lites and the standard QTecs will have a poor road pattern, especially when compared to a projector system.

I am not sure which "standard QTecs" you are referring to. If you are referring to the non-projector GenIIs, you are so wrong. The beam pattern of the pair I have in my TJ are fantastic. They light more of the side of the road than my Mopar LEDs in my '17 Chief, and light up the road in front without blinding the on coming traffic on low beams. On high beams I have never had a pair light up as far down the road. Some have a dark spot in the pattern, not the GenIIs I have.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody have experience with the Morimoto Sealed7 2.0 headlights?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have read a lot and watched a lot of videos and am having a hard time deciding. The options I have looked at are:

- JW Speaker J2 (maybe a quadratech set for lower price)

- Morimoto Super 7 (different look, from videos I like the color and low beam pattern)

- Another newer set of Truck Lites (put newer set in my '13 JKU and move older set to the '07 JK)(I've had no issues with these and seem to have done well)

- Vision X Vortex (I know Vision X makes good stuff. Don't know much about the lights, from individual reviews/comments that is)

- Maybe the KC Gravity Pro (expensive side and saw good and not so good review on beam patterns and color)

Thoughts on these specific options?

I know the JWs have a big following and seam to have a good reputation. From videos, just not sure on beam pattern/color for the price. I like a very white (no yellow) light. I may be wrong on what I see on video as I know the camera can play tricks sometimes.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I just replaced my Trucklites with the Quadratec Gen II Stealths.

The Quadratec's are a definite upgrade from my 4 year old Trucklites. Very happy with the focus, cutoff, lack of artifacts and beam pattern.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just replaced my Trucklites with the Quadratec Gen II Stealths.

The Quadratec's are a definite upgrade from my 4 year old Trucklites. Very happy with the focus, cutoff, lack of artifacts and beam pattern.
Yea, I figure the new lights are even better now than my approximately 4 1/2 to 5 year old Trucklites.

I've started looking a little harder at the Vision X Vortex. Vision X seems to have a good rep with quality products. Although I know the JWs have a large following and are probably the "safer" bet. Just not 100% sold on them just yet in regards to the light output.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yea, I figure the new lights are even better now than my approximately 4 1/2 to 5 year old Trucklites.

I've started looking a little harder at the Vision X Vortex. Vision X seems to have a good rep with quality products. Although I know the JWs have a large following and are probably the "safer" bet. Just not 100% sold on them just yet in regards to the light output.
The Quadratec's are made by JW Speaker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts