Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Metal Cloak 2.5" lift coming. I got the kit that comes with front uppers as the only Adjustable CA's, and plan to add the rest eventually. MC instructions online give starting lengths for 3.5" kits. I know I need to go shorter than stock, and that each vehicle is different, but was curious if anyone had a good starting point. I have also tried to find what the ideal pinion angle is for the front with such a lift, but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I'd start with their recommendation...it's only a ballpark figure anyway, and won't be much different than what a 2.5" lift would get in at. I'd drop the front shaft off the pinion, and use the surface of the flange with a good angle finder to set it. You can do it without dropping the front of the front shaft, but I found that I get a better reading off the bare flange surface.

Pinion angle ideally would be in the 1.7 - 2.2 range, which puts your caster in from 4.7 - 4.2.

Overall the factory axles have 6.2 degrees built in, with 4.2 caster and 2.0 pinion (or round about those numbers anyway). So once you have your pinion angle set, then you know what your caster is gonna be using simple math.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with their recommendation...it's only a ballpark figure anyway, and won't be much different than what a 2.5" lift would get in at. I'd drop the front shaft off the pinion, and use the surface of the flange with a good angle finder to set it. You can do it without dropping the front of the front shaft, but I found that I get a better reading off the bare flange surface.

Pinion angle ideally would be in the 1.7 - 2.2 range, which puts your caster in from 4.7 - 4.2.

Overall the factory axles have 6.2 degrees built in, with 4.2 caster and 2.0 pinion (or round about those numbers anyway). So once you have your pinion angle set, then you know what your caster is gonna be using simple math.

Hope this helps.
Thanks that makes perfect sense. Ideally I could set that axle at the proper pinion angle, and adjust the arms to the point that the bolts just slide right in. I will start with the recommended lengths, and make slight adjustments if needed

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
MC told me to use the same 3.5 measurements for my 2.5 GC. I will use both the angle finder and the set and adjust to drop in methods in the coming weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts