Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought some new upper door skins for my 97 tj. i put the drivers side on and the door wont shut right. it catches just a tad on the top of the door and by the window hinge. it feels like there is something in the door when i try to shut it. the weather stripping looks like it is too thick. i am lost i didnt do the passenger side yet . any help would be great i searched the forum but i coudnt find anything on this. there is a gap by the back top corner on the door until i push on the window.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The top of my half doors do the same thing on both sides, thought it was normal to make a good seal. The top of the door actually makes contact a good 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch before metal contact.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Do you have the instructions for "adjusting" the doors? I have read them in Quadratec mag several times and when I ordered my replacements had to "adjust" them to my Jeep. Not sure if it is same issue but sounds as if yours are out of "adjustment". Basically grab top of door and pull in the proper direction with leg/thigh braced against the lower door-until you get the right fittment. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Bend it in a bit at that back corner it being the upper frame. That's the adjustment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just had the dealer i got my 01 wrangler from put a new top on my jeep. it was a best top replace a top, the old top had best top stamped on it. after the nwe topwas installed the driver door sticks out about a half inch or so, but never did before. like stated above seems like the weather strip is to thick. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
i just had the dealer i got my 01 wrangler from put a new top on my jeep. it was a best top replace a top, the old top had best top stamped on it. after the nwe topwas installed the driver door sticks out about a half inch or so, but never did before. like stated above seems like the weather strip is to thick. any ideas?
Get a Quadratec book-in the center where it talks about picking tops and doors they also discuss adjusting the doors. Basically bend in/or out- bracing leg against lower portion of half door. Worked for me all replacement doors and to "fix" my factory doors that got "tweaked".

Good Luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
yes the way to adjust them is to bend them carefully. mine have always had a small gap on the top but the drip edge on the top keeps it dry.they also came with small washers to help with alignment.

·
Vendor
5,681 Posts
You should be able to adjust them up and down using the little collars on the pins. Then, the adjustment in and out is as described above: just bend the things. Grab hold, and bend them in our out.

The weather stripping isn't too thick - it's just that the old weather stripping was collapsed.

You need to bend these upper doors in or out every once in a while to maintain a good positive fit. That's normal and easy to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldnt get it to work so I stopped by my local 4x4 shop turns out it was the vlcrow I didnt pull it tight enough lol .....duh! They worked the velcrow closer to the inside of the window and wala ! so you might want to try that .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts