Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will admit this is the first time I have changed rad hoses on any vehicle, I did both. Seemed simple enough, until I got to upper towards engine. Seems the be a super tight fit, and can't get the clamp in tight enough, so I have a leak. Any suggestions before making this simple job huge (had a suggestion to remove engine top :/)?
I have a 91 yj, 4.0, i6.
* note: PO didn't have old hose past the bump (appeared to have had a trickle leak for some time).

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have to just work it down passed the bump with clamp slid up passed where you'll be working with it. Its a snug fit. Just take your time. I found the valve cover was in my way more than anything. Use a screw style clamp. My 3¢

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same problem when i rebuilt my engine. I ended up putting two clamps on the upper hose and that fixed the leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You could try putting on a thin film of cooking oil on the radiator spout and on the inside of the hose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! Took hose off above it, slathered a little Vaseline, a got it on nice and tight. I had someone hold the hose down snug while I put the clamp on. No more leak. :) Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts