Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has mounted their spare tire upright in the back, such as in the pic below? It's something I've thought about doing for awhile now, but just tonight finally saw a pic of it done (hopefully the owner doesn't mind me linking).

I think I would mount mine further aft than the one in the photo and angle it slightly more forward, but it's an idea that I'm thinking about revisiting.

If you've done it, how do you like it? I keep my spare strapped down flat in the back, but it seems like this would provide for a better use of space.

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
There is little enough space in the TJ as it is without IMHO taking it up with a spare. That appears to be a serious offroader with over sized tires and an after market roll cage (not the OEM sport bars).

·
Registered
955 Posts
As the previous poster said, it looks like that is a much-dedicated trail rig. It looks like he has build/had built for him a rack that the spare mounts to. It does look really neat; however if you do it or not depends on how you use your rig and what you want(based on looks, etc etc).

Personally, i think a good-quality rear bumper with an integrated swing-out carrier is the most space-efficient(and possibly cost efficient if you factor in needing to have someone make you a rack for your cargo area). I much rather would be using that in-jeep space for tools & parts for trail repairs.

BUT, spares mounted on a rack like this will always look the coolest. In Jeeps or trucks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
When I'm going on a off-roading trip I stand mine upright right behind the driver seat. Stands straight up, I ratchet it down using the roll bar and hooks on the floor. Works great. I then have all the room to the side to use as storage and I can still see out the sides and use the rear view

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has mounted their spare tire upright in the back, such as in the pic below? It's something I've thought about doing for awhile now, but just tonight finally saw a pic of it done (hopefully the owner doesn't mind me linking).

I think I would mount mine further aft than the one in the photo and angle it slightly more forward, but it's an idea that I'm thinking about revisiting.

If you've done it, how do you like it? I keep my spare strapped down flat in the back, but it seems like this would provide for a better use of space.

If it's in the cargo area like that, you might have to mostly unload everything to change your tire...

·
Registered
916 Posts
If it's in the cargo area like that, you might have to mostly unload everything to change your tire...
^^^^^^^
The exact thing I see wrong with the idea.
It looks very cool. But Them tires are heavy. Lifting it over other things in the back could be a back muscle puller at the least.
A PITA most definitely.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is little enough space in the TJ as it is without IMHO taking it up with a spare.
Mine is already taken up with a spare laying flat. This seemed like it might be a more space-efficient option.

Personally, i think a good-quality rear bumper with an integrated swing-out carrier is the most space-efficient
I agree for sure, but the high cost of them has put them close to the bottom of my list of priorities. There are plenty of other true upgrades that I'd rather spend that kind of money on right now.

When I'm going on a off-roading trip I stand mine upright right behind the driver seat. Stands straight up, I ratchet it down using the roll bar and hooks on the floor. Works great. I then have all the room to the side to use as storage and I can still see out the sides and use the rear view
Thanks, I will have to give that a try!

That's why I was thinking of mounting it a little further back, so it was more easily accessible from the tailgate.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Might want to check out the exogate. Cheaper than a bumper, doesn't squeak or rattle like one either (or so I read). I am planning on making something like this for my sons YJ. Hopefully to carry the tire and the power tank

·
Registered
955 Posts
Might want to check out the exogate. Cheaper than a bumper, doesn't squeak or rattle like one either (or so I read). I am planning on making something like this for my sons YJ. Hopefully to carry the tire and the power tank
Though the exogate is great if you want to maintain a stock look, i still think it's horridly overpriced for it's function.

For 35 bucks less, you can get dirtworx's good quality swing-out bumper with a 2" receiver and D ring mounts.

And for 60 bucks more than that, you can get the version that has integrated jerry can holders.

One thing i will say about the exogate, though is that you have the option to use ANY aftermarket bumper you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts