Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the Ford 8.8 and gearing to 4.88 my upshift indicator light comes on in 5th gear.

What a howl....it's telling me I need another gear.

Got to admit 33's and 4.88's I sure could use another gear..... But 5th gear is THERE and I can accelerate in 5th!

Anybody know how to disconnect that light? I dont pay attention to it anyway but it catches my eye in high gear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
thats funny, i never thought about that, i wonder if ill have this problem when i get mine back tuesday from the re-gear. Take your dash apart and remove the gauge cluster (its not hard, just involves alot of screws, roughly 200) from there it should be easy to locate the LED that feeds the shift indicator light.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh it's there ..... may not sposed to be... Never was there in 5th before...but it is there now!

Before re gearing I would have laughed at the upshift light if it came on while in 5th.

·
Registered
672 Posts
CapnDean. I know this is old but I just experienced the same thing. I have a 5 sp manual in my 2003 Wrangler X. I just switched from a Dana 35 3.07 to a Ford 8.8 4.88 gears and I get the upshift light in 5th.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My 97 is bone stock with 235 75 15 street tires and 3.07 gears. My light comes on every now and then in 5th gear. It always corrects itself when I shift out then back into 5th.

Best guess, the 5th gear bypass light switch is bad. Pull the bulb, of fix the switch.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I pulled the bulb in mine...since I've been driving standards longer than it has...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts