Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a manual steering 1994 2.5 Jeep Yj and I bought a kit to replace the gear box and put a power steering pump with a remote reservoir. Now when everything was getting put together the only way the wheels would remain straight and the pitman arm would align with the drag link was to turn the steering wheel pretty much upside down. Should I just take it to get aligned or pull the steering wheel and manually turn it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
IF the pitman arm is centered, take the bolt out of the steering shaft under the hood, seperate it, turn the wheel 180* and reassemble

If the pitman arm is off the the side, adjust the drag link to center it and the wheel...
No allignment shop needed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF the pitman arm is centered, take the bolt out of the steering shaft under the hood, seperate it, turn the wheel 180* and reassemble

If the pitman arm is off the the side, adjust the drag link to center it and the wheel...
No allignment shop needed

Is the bolt you are talking about the one that connects the steering shaft to the gear box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,916 Posts
Yes, the top one can only go one way

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Been a few years since I had one apart but i believe the one at the steering box can only go one way and the one that can be turned 180 is near the firewall....

That said, unless you took it apart, it's unlikely that you need to adjust it there....

Turn your steering wheel straight and look at the pitman arm.... if it's centered then you only need to adjust your drag link...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced my steering box last week or so ago. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I had an issue trying to get the intermediate steering shaft onto the box because it was flipped 180 degrees. Luckily, I replaced the intermediate shaft a few months ago, so it was easy to pull out the end that fits onto the steering gear and flip it around 180 degrees. Once I did that, it fit onto the steering gear and the steering wheel was where it's supposed to be.

I thought it was odd because my old steering gear had everything lined up but then the new one wasn't. But once I flipped that intermediate shaft, things were fine.

You may also want to remove the steering wheel. Once removed, there should be an arrow or triangle where the 'up' part it. Sometimes if you flip things around with the steering wheel, the turn signals won't work as they should anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts