Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I just cut my fenders and rerouted some small 3/4" 2 wire led markers in the grill. I followed a write up saying to solder the light red wire and the striped wire to the hot wire and the solid black wire to ground. Well I did that and my new blinkers don't work, strange but not as strange at this: my hazards work fine, but when I turn the right/left blinker on, it also turns the hazards on. What did I wire incorrectly?

·
Registered
688 Posts
did you convert your wires to a 3 wire? can you snap a picture? when you turn the blinker on , does it light up on the dash and flick very fast or not at all? I just did this conversion a few days ago

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you convert your wires to a 3 wire? can you snap a picture? when you turn the blinker on , does it light up on the dash and flick very fast or not at all? I just did this conversion a few days ago
It doesn't flash fast, it flashes normal but both left and right blinker controls turn on hazards

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ForumRunner_20150303_083704.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_083927.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_084011.jpg

I'm using 2 wire leds don't worry that's not the final product, I just soldered them together and if they worked then I'll heat shrink them

·
Registered
688 Posts
hard to see in the pic, but do you have the 2 wires connected too the black lead coming from the led? that could be your issue right there.

Black with Yellow striped wire coming from the harness is park light,
and the colored one ( which could be green or grey or redish color ) is your turn signal
and black from the factory harness is ground.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hard to see in the pic, but do you have the 2 wires connected too the black lead coming from the led? that could be your issue right there.

Black with Yellow striped wire coming from the harness is park light,
and the colored one ( which could be green or grey or redish color ) is your turn signal
and black from the factory harness is ground.
Thank you so much, so I just let the striped on hang?

·
Registered
688 Posts
So basically if you don't do the 3 wire conversion which is very very easy, full write up available here,
LED Turn Signal Installation - JeepForum.com

then you will have two wires to connect to your factory harness, which means you will have either Turn signals or Parking light. If you convert it to 3 wire ( which is very easy ) you will have turn signals and parking light. If you choose to run 2 wires, then take your ground from the LED ( mine was white it said on the package ) and connected it to your ground from your Jeep ( solid black wire ) . Then take your other wire from your Led and connected to that colored white ( usually solid green ,or grey or redish ). Then your signal will work when you turn the blinker on. However you won't have parking lights and your blinker will blink fast. Also you do not need to solder the wires until you are finished and want a permanent set up. I usually just twist them around to check if my lights work then ill solder and heat shrink.

Black and yellow stipped is for parking light, if you don't want to use it then maybe just zip tie it out of the way and put a lil electrical tape over the end or heat shrink of then end. Let me know if you have any more issues

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Here is what you need to do the conversion. I put mine in a little piece of plastic tubing to protect it. Be sure and insulate exposed wires.

Basically what you have done is wired your parking lights to your turn signals by connecting those two wires together.

Jeep LED Front Marker/Turn Signal Light Modification Parts List

Radio Shack Numbers (quantity enough for two harnesses)

4 Rectifier Diodes #IN4004
2 560 Ohm ½ watt Resistors #271-1116
3 Colors 18 gauge wire
Solder
Heat shrink

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts