Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question I'm sure but here it goes... broke my front track bar pulling in the parking lot at work today. Local shop has a bds adjustable suited for my 4" lift. Its on the way now. Question is do I need an alignment after replacing a track bar? Can I install it sitting on the ground? Is it as simple as adjusting to the desired length and bolting her in? This is my ride home from work today so I hope it is simple

ForumRunner_20130730_134338.jpg

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
No alignment needed. Just bolt it in and adjust the length to center the axle.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you don't have a ratchet strap handy, pick one up while you're at the parts store. You will probably have to hook it from axle to frame on one side or the other to line things up. Alignment is not needed to drive, but your steering wheel will be off center if you don't get the new bar to EXACTLY the same length as the old one. It wont stop you from driving it, but it's annoying and tedious to fix properly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!! I am familiar with the steering wheel centering so no big deal there. Anyone have any idea if this is normal? She is a pavement princess so I don't get how daily driving would break a track bar in this manor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also while I'm thinking about it.... I recently switched back to the stock pitman arm from the previous owners drop pitman arm after reading on the forum about the steering geometry. This couldn't have caused it, could it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i broke and replaced mine today, I did it right in the drive way, size 3/4 socket on a 1/4" drive and 2, 1/2" wrench to tightening up the clamps is all i needed. I do have to get the alignment done, but you can get it real close by eye. took me an hour but I cleaned everything and went over the jeep while i was under there. grease the fittings b4 you bolt them in place, I couldnt get the passenger side one had to take it off to grease it. leave the nut on a few threads tap it with a hammer should pop right out. good time to check your u joints too. good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it on no problem, steering wheel centered and drives great. Only question left is for anyone that has a bds track bar.

ForumRunner_20130730_220652.jpg

The kit did not include grease boots for the frame side johnny joint. The parts list did not list it, and the 4x4 shop said it doesn't need one....just looks funny to me....any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It appears to have a zerk fitting that grease can be applied through on the side. It's that little sliver nipple on the outside of the housing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering about the fact that there is no boot to keep the grease in. Seems strange to me

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
That's exactly how my JKS with JJ end joint looks. If you're worried, send a picture of it to bds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Boots are a controversial topic. Some folks dislike them because they hold debris and water in. Some folks love them because they help keep debris and water out. If you grease your joints regularly then the new grease will push out an debris. My advice would be to just grease them regularly if you run without boots.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boots are a controversial topic. Some folks dislike them because they hold debris and water in. Some folks love them because they help keep debris and water out. If you grease your joints regularly then the new grease will push out an debris. My advice would be to just grease them regularly if you run without boots.
Thanks for the input. That makes sense. Ill just keep it greased and see how it goes...thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts