Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 130 with the uconnect package. I can't seem to find an answer for one question and it's driving me a bit crazy.

With music on the USB drive, is there a way to use playlists? Ideally exporting the list from itunes.

I thought if i kept the music in folders the 130 would just pick up the folders like the CD but that didn't work. And i know I can't export the playlist from itunes since it keeps it relative to an itunes library.

I like the idea of keeping all the music on my usb but I need a way to organize it.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
I have been looking into this for you and will keep trying a few things to see if I can get it to work. AS of right now what I'm seeing is that if I use Windows media player, sync a playlist to the thumb drive, the thumb drive seems to take the playlist and break it into the artists alphbetically.

I have the 130 with the uconnect package. I can't seem to find an answer for one question and it's driving me a bit crazy.

With music on the USB drive, is there a way to use playlists? Ideally exporting the list from itunes.

I thought if i kept the music in folders the 130 would just pick up the folders like the CD but that didn't work. And i know I can't export the playlist from itunes since it keeps it relative to an itunes library.

I like the idea of keeping all the music on my usb but I need a way to organize it.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Thanks for the info and the link. I'll look into it when (hmm,when) I find some extra time.

I found an app that works great. This guy's program works on pc and mac, the mac app was $5 but totally worth it. It reads your itunes library and gets your playlists which you can export with the files.
You end up with a playlist file and an associated folder which I just copied to my usb and worked no problem.

EricDaugherty.com - iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just tried an Ipod Nano connected to the USB port on my new 2012 JK and it works very well. The station preset buttons on the 130 radio select from various playlists or even artists/albums and then I can drill down from there. It's very easy to use and might be worth the expense of an ipod just to make this easier than trying to re-buld playlists on a generic USB drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found an app that works great. This guy's program works on pc and mac, the mac app was $5 but totally worth it. It reads your itunes library and gets your playlists which you can export with the files.
You end up with a playlist file and an associated folder which I just copied to my usb and worked no problem.

I HIGHLY recommend this application to manage your music - you get a quick export with the artist name used as the folder name for each "playlist". Took me 5 minutes to export 300 songs from iTunes and they all downloaded to the JKU with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks!

just bought a 32GB USB stick and loaded all my music on it. Works great :punk:

·
Registered
249 Posts
What about those of us that don't use itunes. Will this work also just off of a pc? I download mp3 audiobooks and usually can only see the title, not the tracks/chapters. This gets really difficult to find your place if you lose it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not to completely hijack the thread, but has anyone figured out a way to move files to the HDD directly from a phone/ipad/pc? Using a thumb drive will take a while to move the roughly 20GB of music I want on the Jeep HDD since the biggest drive I have is 2GB.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Not to completely hijack the thread, but has anyone figured out a way to move files to the HDD directly from a phone/ipad/pc? Using a thumb drive will take a while to move the roughly 20GB of music I want on the Jeep HDD since the biggest drive I have is 2GB.
USB stick are really inexpensive...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that not all of my folders (by artist) on my flash drive are visible on the radio face. Not sure why. Which sucks because I'm only seeing maybe a third of them.

:banghead:

·
Registered
601 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that not all of my folders (by artist) on my flash drive are visible on the radio face. Not sure why. Which sucks because I'm only seeing maybe a third of them.

:banghead:
curious if you use iCloud? I do, and noticed only the artists of the songs I actually have on the device are showing up on my 2013 uconnect 130

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've found that simply importing a sub-folder creates a playlist of sorts. If I import an artist with multiple albums, I organize it by <artistfolder>\<albumfolder> on the thumb drive. After transfer, I navigate to that artist then hit the tracks tab, which shows each album as its own individual playlist.

I also have a Sandisk Cruzer 32GB Fit drive... thing is tiny, but can be accessed from both the console USB port and the port on the face of the head unit. I can randomly play its entire contents, but have no ability to see playlists. I can flag a track as a favorite, where it will copy to the hard drive. I do use that occasionally. Sometimes, between restarts of the Jeep, track information for tracks on the thumb drive don't display. I'll look into some of software mentioned.

I burned about 5 DVDs of all my "staple" music. I feel that it's the quickest medium to transfer from that reliably resumes the copy after the Jeep is turned off for a while. I've had issues with USB just failing to continue. DVDs also make it easy to restore if I wipe the drive for any reason.

I also stream a lot from Google Music when my phone is synced. Steering wheel controls allow me to jump tracks and play lists I have in the cloud and adjust volume. Pretty cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts