Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I want to add an extra USB port on the dash of my Wrangler. I need it to play music so this new USB port has to be connected to the uconnect module (I am NOT looking to have an extra charge port, I need it for data connectivity) but I want also to keep the connection establish on the USB port on the harm rest centre console

1- Has anyone used a USB hub for this application? if so which one?
2 - If you have add an USB port (even that is only for power) on your dash please share some photos. I am looking for ideas to implement

Many thanks as always

·
Registered
405 Posts
You don't have the USB port on the face of your radio? I'd use that and you'd still have the console USB port unused.

I haven't tried adding another USB hub, but USB technical specs do allow for daisy chaining hubs and can connect up to 127 devices....so in theory its possible. They're super cheap on Amazon so easy to test. In practice, its anyone's guess what UConnect will do.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You don't have the USB port on the face of your radio? I'd use that and you'd still have the console USB port unused.

I haven't tried adding another USB hub, but USB technical specs do allow for daisy chaining hubs and can connect up to 127 devices....so in theory its possible. They're super cheap on Amazon so easy to test. In practice, its anyone's guess what UConnect will do.
The USB on the face of the radio does not interface with phones or other devices. It is only for loading data onto the radio internal hard drive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
@Cummins_Powered is right. Only the USB port in the armrest (meaning you have the Connectivity Package) allows for full phone control and playing music.

In this thread, a user says he tried a splitter in the console and didn't work. However, he shows a $3.75 solution to create a USB port that connects to the UConnect module behind the dash and adds a USB port that does allow for media playing/phone control...it looks like he didn't have a USB port on the face of his radio though. I wonder if that UConnect port would normally be occupied if he did have USB on the radio face?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/usb-cable-input-on-uconnect-module-970801.html

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
[MENTION=1331354]I wonder if that UConnect port would normally be occupied if he did have USB on the radio face?
The Uconnect port is occupied if you have the Connectivity Group/Package that adds the center console USB port. It's completely independent of whether or not the radio has a USB port.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Music from the radio usb port

Hello
I want to add an extra USB port on the dash of my Wrangler. I need it to play music ......
Based on your comments I assume you have a 430 and not a 730 (each handle the front ports somewhat differently). As others have stated you cannot control an Ipod using the port built into the unit of a 430 but need to do so from the port located in the console.

Since you state you want to use this port for music, I have a suggestion as to how this can be done. I also have a 430N with a USB connection on the face of the radio and another USB port on the front inside the center console storage area. Most of the time I play my music through the USB port built into the radio (which sounds like what you want to do). I use the center console port for my IPOD where it is out of sight (and out of the way). However, I CAN play music from a USB stick on EITHER port. Be aware, though, the ports do not handle music files the same way. For example, the port in the center console will not show the folders for the music and all songs are in one big list. Whereas using the port on the radio you can select a folder and play music from that folder. It will also list the folder on the top line of the music display and will list songs that are in that folder below it even it it takes multiple screens to do so.

Another difference is that when a USB stick containing music is plugged directly into the 430 radio port it will (almost) immediately begin to play regardless of what you were listening to prior to plugging in the USB stick. Songs will play in alphabetical order until (or unless) the random function is selected. Each time the USB stick is inserted it begins again at the first song and if random was selected previously it is no longer active once the USB stick is removed. When the key is turned off or another music source is selected, it will remember where it was and begin playing again from that point still using random if it was previously selected. When a USB stick containing music is plugged into the center console you must navigate through the menus to find, then play your music as it does not begin automatically.

As a side note, one of the things i like most about the 430N is that you can upload custom way-points. I use the USB port on the radio to upload my own way-points that I can then use to navigate with. I have over 1300 way-points for dozens of trails at my fingertips.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Reactions: Cummins_Powered

·
Registered
129 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts