Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticing the USB port in the center console just doesn't want to charge the iPhone? If I'm using a mapping app it simply won't charge for anything. If I use the cigarette lighter adapter I can fully charge from below 20% in about 20 min. Using the USB port I was only able to get about an extra 5% over the course of an hour drive!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes. It is useless for charging.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
USB charging through anything but a wall socket is more for stopping loss from use than for charging. If I'm looking to charge, I use the socket charger, if I'm looking to control my music through the head unit or stream pandora, I use the center console USB.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The USB port is only USB2.0 which supplies 500ma of power. For big phones that is useless. You would be best off getting a 12v adapter which can supply over 1 amp for a steady charge, some even do 2A

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm stuck using a power adapter in the lighter port
for the technically minded:
RES radio
iPhone 6 with latest iOS
factory lightning cable
If there is a USB port I'm unaware of please let me know. I thought the only one was in the center console.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is one under the armrest in mine. Both barely charge my Galaxy. Guess I need an adapter as well.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm stuck using a power adapter in the lighter port for the technically minded: RES radio iPhone 6 with latest iOS factory lightning cable If there is a USB port I'm unaware of please let me know. I thought the only one was in the center console.
If you have the USB in the center console, there should be a power outlet in there as well. At least there is on my '14 JKRX, came with the connectivity kit. At least that way you can keep your phone locked up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts