Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes. I did this early on. Silly place for the aux usb if you ask me. It takes a little work, but inside the center console, around the E brake, there is a usb mini connection to the arm rest. You just need to unplug it, and get a mini to regular usb adapter, and maybe a 4 ft usb dongle.

Route it through your dash to come out wherever you want it.

I ran mine to the drivers side A-Pillar/Dash junction and ran it across the dash to the top storage tray where my phone mount is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or even easier I think is to replace the 12v cigarette lighter with a dual USB. Converts 12-14v OEM output to 2.4 per USB or a total of 4.8v.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mount-d...jatvKGPL96QCQPV3Fjk-t_1htL1cHwFxoC1TIQAvD_BwE

This too. If you want the Aux functionality, though, you have to get into the usb that comes off of the radio.

Actually, the easiest way might be to just pop the head unit out and unplug the usb from there, and plug in your usb extension right there. I thin its a standard female usb...I could be wrong, but at that point you would already have the dash apart and can route straight through the storage tray if you want.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,889 Posts
This too. If you want the Aux functionality, though, you have to get into the usb that comes off of the radio.

Actually, the easiest way might be to just pop the head unit out and unplug the usb from there, and plug in your usb extension right there. I thin its a standard female usb...I could be wrong, but at that point you would already have the dash apart and can route straight through the storage tray if you want.
That's what I did to power my phone and GPS units but drilled a hole in the dash, used a rubber insert to keep the USB wire from falling through when unplugged. Never use it for aux though. BT only. The inside console USB is convenient to use a small ipod or similar device and leave it in the vehicle sight unseen. But bluetooth is easier and much more convenient for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's what I did to power my phone and GPS units but drilled a hole in the dash, used a rubber insert to keep the USB wire from falling through when unplugged. Never use it for aux though. BT only. The inside console USB is convenient to use a small ipod or similar device and leave it in the vehicle sight unseen. But bluetooth is easier and much more convenient for me.

My blutooth has sucked since I bought it brand new. I get skipping when I use BT, so if I don't use the aux. my singalongs are interrupted every 15 seconds or so.

I think we got this fella setup for whichever way he wants to go!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want the aux function. I was hoping to use the round port on the opposite side of the cig lighter. I was hoping there was a port available somewhere that was like the power adapter mentioned by USStrongman but allowed aux functionality

·
Registered
54 Posts
With a 4ft cord the usb can plug into the inside of the center console, and then come through the little cutout on the front part of the drivers side of the console and comfortably reach the cupholders and be super convenient. It also means that if you want to hide something but leave it plugged in, just open the console, put in the object and move the cord back in. Seems easiest to just leave it in there unless you often change the cord you're using, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
298 Posts
Depends on OEM HU. All but the 730N have a UConnect module behind the climate control unit. You can also unplug the USB port there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts