Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to instal an aftermarket Radio and CB in my 2016 Wrangler. Part of the instal will be replacing the Auxiliary power connector in the dash with a USB port. Can I or should I use those power wires for the CB?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Preferred power source for any communication radio is direct to the battery. Both positive and ground. Fuse the positive up close to that connection.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
Preferred power source for any communication radio is direct to the battery. Both positive and ground.
X2, permanently mounted 2-way radios should always get their power directly from the battery. An easy way to connect to the battery is inside the Power Distribution Center where there is a power lug with a hex nut on it that is connected directly to the battery.

Other sources of power can be electrically noisy which can mean a noisy transmitted or received signal. Noises like ignition noise and alternator whine. The battery is like a huge filter capacitor that provides the best/cleanest possible power like your CB should be running on.

Yes, you'll need to splice some additional length onto your CB's power leads to make that happen.

And don't be concerned that the CB won't turn off when you shut the ignition switch off... that's how you want it so you won't have to have the key on to talk to people when waiting on the trail. Nope, it won't drain the battery if you forget to shut the CB off unless you don't start the Jeep for several weeks. CBs draw very little power, next to nothing, when they're not transmitting and the squelch is set properly so the radio isn't hissing through the speaker when not receiving a signal from someone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts