Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the outlet in my 2013 JK Will safely power my kitchen fridge freezer to cool it down periodically during this hurricane without power at home? Will it damage either my fridge or worse yet, my Jeep? I couldn't get a generator anywhere this week. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Meh... Don't think so. I believe the plug is 150W and 1.25 Amps if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking the first time the frig kicked on, it would blow the Jeep amp. fuse.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My new kitchen fridge is on a 20 amp circuit, don't know how much it really draws. Isn't the Jeep inverter somewhere around 300 watts or 3 amps?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
no way. the max draw from the fridge when the pump kicks on will pop a fuse in the jeep. the outlet is meant for phones and laptops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We tried to plug in our fridge/freezer today when we lost power. The red light on the plug symbol/dash would turn on and then within a second or two, turn off. We figured it wasn't intended to work on a fridge.

We were so excited that the Jeep could also act as a generator!! Oh well, my cell phone is charged :)

Stay safe

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
hair dryer is also way over the wattage. Like 10x over.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Cells and laptops are about it.

Small stuff. A goal zero generator will do it if your looking for a gas less option

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
A hair dryer starts about about 1200 watts.

A generator has to be rated for about 1.5 times the demand load, in order to safely cope with current surges and to last for durability. A 3000 watt device can easily draw 4000+ watts when turning on, running a compressor [like in a refrigerator, heating units, AC unit, etc]. Run a 3000 watt device on a 3000 watt generator and the generator will die suddenly and very quickly.

Even if the fuse pops, you can fry the inverter and electronics with the current l load draw. Don't try it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lauri said:
We tried to plug in our fridge/freezer today when we lost power. The red light on the plug symbol/dash would turn on and then within a second or two, turn off. We figured it wasn't intended to work on a fridge.

We were so excited that the Jeep could also act as a generator!! Oh well, my cell phone is charged :)

Stay safe
I'm surprised your fridge's plug even fit in the two prong socket in the jeep!

The proper way is to just get yourself a big electric cooler that plugs into the trunk socket! You can leave it plugged in for hours on end without worrying about the battery, and if you really want you can put in an ice pack or ice bag if you want to keep things frozen

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Max amperage on the 115V outlet is 11.

·
Registered
667 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the outlet is connected to an Inverter not a generator. You are not generating electricity you are only inverting the battery DC to AC, and the altenator is recharging the battery.

I was in your shoes for a week after Isabelle. We lucked out this time and did not lose power in Virginia Beach.

I have a fully loaded VW Riviera camper so I just camped in my yard after Isabelle and ran I line to the fridge in my garage from the gennie.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Generally, if the device you want to power has a motor (refrigerator, hair dryer etc) then you can't run it off of an inverter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing to keep in mind, the outlet is connected to an Inverter not a generator. You are not generating electricity you are only inverting the battery DC to AC, and the altenator is recharging the battery.

I was in your shoes for a week after Isabelle. We lucked out this time and did not lose power in Virginia Beach.

I have a fully loaded VW Riviera camper so I just camped in my yard after Isabelle and ran I line to the fridge in my garage from the gennie.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.
Where are you located?
Thanks for all your advise, prayers. I got my power back 2 nights ago. It is a good thing as it was getting cold. I did get a generator to power some of my home . I am on Long Island and was quite lucky with only a little damage. There are many here that lost their homes. Thanks to all that helped and prayed

·
Registered
536 Posts
i think what should be learned from this is, if you know the power may go out, buy some electrical coolers for your food and power them up from your jeep :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
i think what should be learned from this is, if you know the power may go out, buy some electrical coolers for your food and power them up from your jeep :)
A generator is a much better option and can run a refrigerator. Trying to run a 12 volt cooler off of a Jeep can kill its battery if the engine is not run and the 12 volt coolers aren't worth a darn.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I used mine to power my daughter's nebulizer (for her asthma). Worked fine. Not sure what the draw is on that though. It's like a little air pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts