Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my name is Carl. I currently own a TJ, so this is my first time posting in the JK section.

Long story short, my wife and I are wanting a bigger jeep with more space for our kids. I found a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited, 6 speed, with 170000 miles. I can get the jeep for $15k.

The jeep had some work done at a shop last year: new axle seals, new water pump, new exhaust manifolds, and some wiring issues fixed (see receipts). She claims that the hard top has never been off the jeep.

Is this a good deal in your opinions? The jeep is located about 2 hours away, so I don't want to waste a trip if not. I also don't want my first JKU experience to be a bad one.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It looks well taken care of, she may get it. That said, that's a lot of $$ for a vehicle with 170K. Some of the older 3.8s burn oil, I don't think you want to be saddled with buying a motor, tranny, fuel lines, etc on a 10 yr old vehicle. I'd spend a bit more and look for a 2012 with the newer engine, transmission, and interior.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is a lot of miles. I agree with 5JKs. The 2012 and up is going to get you the 3.6 Pentastar, which is a much better engine, delivering approximately 60 more horses as well. You may have to pay into the $20Ks for a JKU later model but the mileage should be much more friendly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I should add that I'm paying cash and my budget is in the mid teens. Also, we take our jeep out quite a bit. As much as I'd like to have a new 2012-2017 Jeep, I don't want to spend 20-30k on a jeep that will make me cringe at the sound of branches and things scratching up the sides. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
83 Posts
too many miles IMO. That motor isn't the best motor to begin with, I wouldn't want one with that many miles. For example, I had a 2009 with 60K miles, it leaked oil and burned oil, underpowered, and the interior is well... old. Not sure if the 12+ JKs are much bigger than a TJ, but I've stumbled across as few 12+ JKs for around 17-18K.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, according to KBB, a 2008 jku Rubicon with standard equipment, in good condition, and that many miles has a value of about $11,444. Her fixes shouldn't count toward the value, as they are necessary to keep the vehicle in proper running condition. Imho...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Looks like the consensus is a no go, unless I can get it cheap. I guess I'll probably skip out on this one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Lots of repairs to bring it up to 'serviceable'; what awaits actually being in daily family service is unknown.

I'm not a gambler. I'd rather pay the banker for a newer model than pay the mechanic to keep the older dog running.

Coincidentally the new vehicle comes with warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've got it down to $14k which sounds like a reasonable price to me, considering the mileage. I plan to go check it out this Friday. Opinions? Things I should look for on this model?

·
Registered
646 Posts
170k scares the doody out of me! Its not a Toyota, its a JEEP, 170Ks approaching 2nd rebuild time!! Then there is this, I went from a 05 LJ(4.0/6MT/3.73) to a 07 JKU(3.21 Auto) and was very disappointed in the power band. I was born into MOPAR 383s, I need torque to live. I traded it off after only two months. Now the 4.11s could be a different animal all together, IDK?? I'm in love again with my 3.6 JK, it's light years ahead of the 3.8. I can smoke the tires and still get 20mpg. The 3.8 couldn't pass a fart.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
If it's still running at 170,000 it's definitely not an oil burner. Don't be scared of a high mileage 3.8L they are a tough motor. I have 280,000klm on mine and wouldn't trade it for a 3.6L.

If it's in good shape and the engine sounds good I'd offer $12K ... The kind of mods that are done will also influence the price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled a carfax on it today. Services documented every 5k or so, always passed emissions and inspections, 2 owner. The only thing that really worries me now is where it came from. Massachusetts. I've seen how rough the north can be on a vehicle. Going to have to check it out really closely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts