Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just bought a 2001 TJ 4.0L with 280k miles on it with a blown engine and new nv3550 with only 5k miles on it for $1500. I recently found a used engine at a salvage yard with 116k miles for $795 and a 6 month parts warranty. I was wondering if 116k miles was too high to bother with swapping into the Jeep? Should I keep looking for a lower mileage engine? or will this engine last for a while yet?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Do a compression test on ANY used engine....

That said.... I beat the snot out of my 260,000 mile 4.0 every day and I have no worries about it holding up for a long time yet

·
Registered
612 Posts
Used engines can be a big money saver-- or the complete inverse.

I would not just drop any used engine in without doing a few things first.

Best case scenario: you can hear the engine run, then a compression test.

If not; a compression test and platiguage the main bearings and rod bearings to make sure they are in good shape.

When you find the winner, now would be a good time to address a few known issues. so, new oil pan gasket, rear main seal and valve cover gasket.

Depending on the mileage a new valve train (cam, lifters and timing set)

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Do you know what year Jeep the salvage yard engine came out of?

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
If you had a 2003 it would go right in. I do know that some changes were made from 2002 to 2003, the frames are slightly different, the interiors are slightly different, but do not know if there were any changes to engine controls.

Did you by the way get all the wiring and control boxes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you had a 2003 it would go right in. I do know that some changes were made from 2002 to 2003, the frames are slightly different, the interiors are slightly different, but do not know if there were any changes to engine controls.

Did you by the way get all the wiring and control boxes?
I didn't buy the engine yet, but I have the old engine with most of the sensors that I can swap over. Will both blocks have the same mounting points for the alternator and power steering brackets?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have a 97 Tj w/4.0 at 318,000 my engine broke, I found a yard with an engine at the right price, I dropped it in, swapped all the good stuff off my original engine.
I now have just over 356,000 and she is running strong.

Do as mentioned above, if at all possible do a compression check or at least hear it run. Knock out all the freeze plugs and use a coat hanger and pressurized air to do a though cleaning. Also replace the thermostat.

Some of the issues I ran into was all the sensors had different connectors and had to use mine, the distributor had lots of play, used mine, the water pump had a little play, used mine, exhaust manifold was cracked used mine.

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
I didn't buy the engine yet, but I have the old engine with most of the sensors that I can swap over. Will both blocks have the same mounting points for the alternator and power steering brackets?
The blocks should have the same engine mounts as far as I know. I believe the 2001 does not have a distributor and has the coil pack rail over the plugs. I know the 2003 to 2006 are that way. Stay away from the 2005-6 because they use a totally different crank position sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blocks should have the same engine mounts as far as I know. I believe the 2001 does not have a distributor and has the coil pack rail over the plugs. I know the 2003 to 2006 are that way. Stay away from the 2005-6 because they use a totally different crank position sensor.
Will the crank position sensor difference matter if I keep the original transmission and wiring harness? Is the 05-06 CPS mounted on the engine?

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
For the 4.0 there are two very different blocks

One was used in YJ and TJ 97-99 and ZJ and all XJ thru last year in 2001

The other different block was used in WJ and 2000-2006 TJ

The two don’t mix as the bolt holes on side for motor mounts is very different

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
You can swap any of the new style just use the correct year OPDA ie 2000-2004 vs 2005-2006
And 1999 WJ uses same as TJ 2000-2004

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts