Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of full doors for my 06 that came from a 2001, the seller gave me a spare key he had for the locks but can I have these keyed to match my ignition key by a lock smith or something like that??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do they replace the locks in the doors?and thanks

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep.... or they can re key your ign lock to match the door key

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
They just replace the leaves inside the locks

Pretty easy diy if you can get a new cap as it is destroyed prying it off the lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I went the opposite direction. I bought a pair of half doors off ebay and simply removed the lock cyliners and had a locksmith rekey them to match the cylinders in my TJ (ingition, and full doors). Total cost for cleaning the cylinders and putting new faces on them (they had been painted black) and rekeying - $32. A bargain in my way of thinking. I dropped them off and picked them up an hour later.

And yes, I have the SKIM in 2003. I did this even though I don't plan on ever locking the doors since it is a soft top.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Bought a set of half doors with different locks. Took the lock cylinders to a lock smith and he re-keyed and put new faces on them in a day for $80. I might have gotten ripped off but it was the cheapest I could find in Socal. Now everything works with one key.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Here in S. Georgia, the rates are a little less. I had previously had the same locksmith generate a new SKIM chipped key for my TJ. We only have two full service locksmiths in the county.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here in S. Georgia, the rates are a little less. I had previously had the same locksmith generate a new SKIM chipped key for my TJ. We only have two full service locksmiths in the county.
Yeah I saw plenty of people quoting lower prices when I was looking to do it. Called about 10 places and prices ranged from $80-$140. Went with the lowest bidder and he did a great job and really greased them up. Dropped them off in the morning and got them in the afternoon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts