Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a hard top for the winter since my JKU lives outside, and I found one taken off a 2014 and garage kept. Did some negotiation and the person will sell for $1400. Is this a decent price or would it be easy to do better? I'm not really sure where the market is on these things.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Its seasonal and based on location. Middle of winter in the North they go high. Summer not so much. I wouldn't be afraid to pay around 1k for one in nice shape.1400 for a like new one might be doable if your not having luck finding any others.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Tough to say....
I think $1400 is just a tad high...but it is a 2014. On the flip side, you will also have some work to do to get your Jeep wired for a hard top if you want to use the defrost and stuff. I've seen them go cheaper cheaper. Is it painted or something?

Edit...I take that back. I honestly don't know what a good price is for a brand new take-off hard top.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I paid 1250 for one(a 2011) almost 4 years ago. At the time there was a 9 month back order which meant there was no supply and people could get more money for them. The one I bought never left the dealers lot, even for a test drive. A year later I bought a second top for $500. I'd say 1400 is too high unless he is paying to get your jeep wired too, which I doubt he is. A hard top doesn't wear out like a jeep so the year isn't too big of a deal when it comes to price. I'd say 1000-1200 is a better price. If hard tops are hard to come by in your area you may have to pay a bit more, but I bet if you keep looking and are willing to drive an hour or 2 to get it you can get a better deal

·
Registered
163 Posts
I literally bought one yesterday for 1000 so unless this one is in pristine condition it's a tad high. See if you can work him down

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
In south florida they go for $1000-1800 depending on condition

·
Banned
127 Posts
As mentioned, the price seems to be location and season specific. I think $1,400 is a good price for a JKU hard top. It's not 2+ years old, probably hasn't been abused, etc. I'm sure you can find a better price, but how long are you prepared to wait around for that "killer deal"? Plus think about the wasted time searching....and searching some more...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care about the wiring. I looked into it though and the worst part seems to be having to pay the dealer to reprogram the computer to work with it.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Here in central Texas, you pay 700-800 for a top for TJ's. I would think you could probably do a little better with patience but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
All those prices seem on the low side. I suppose if someone is desperate for cash and they need to sell it quick sure. I just sold my top in great condition off a 2013 unlimited for 1200 and a standard soft top off a 2011 which I turned around and sold for a quick 300. Net 1500 and that's the least I'd take for mine. For me selling my hard top for 1000 bucks just isn't worth it. I know some people don't have the space to store a top half of the year but for that little money I'd find the space.

So my answer to the OP is yes, 1400 for basically a new 2014 hard top is a good deal. You likely wouldn't have gotten my year old top for that.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just sold mine off of a 2013 JK today for $1,250 & I'm hoping that I don't end up regretting it :( But I just put my Trextop NX back on last weekend & decided it was too much of a pain to take the hardtop on & off every season. Now I just wish I could find a premium soft top cheap!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just sold mine off of a 2013 JK today for $1,250 & I'm hoping that I don't end up regretting it :( But I just put my Trextop NX back on last weekend & decided it was too much of a pain to take the hardtop on & off every season. Now I just wish I could find a premium soft top cheap!
I'm right there with ya. I think I'll be OK running a soft top all year long. I found a new premium softy on cl a couple weeks after I got my jeep. Paid 1100 for it. Thought it was a little pricey then but I haven't seen one since on cl and that was over a year ago so I don't feel so bad now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just sold my 2007 jku’s hardtop for $1400 and got a trektop NX soft top. Did I sell my hard top at a good price?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I think I'll be OK running a soft top all year long. I found a new premium softy on cl a couple weeks after I got my jeep. Paid 1100 for it. Thought it was a little pricey then but I haven't seen one since on cl and that was over a year ago so I don't feel so bad now.
I got my soft top for 400. The guy had dual tops and used his hard top.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts