Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the search for the perfect JK for a while.. Nothing serious, just looking around and lurking and waiting. Most likely going to go new at the end of the summer.

However. Extremely frustrated with nearby dealerships having 1-2 year old JKU's, lifted with tires and adding 10K+ to the price. 40-42K for a 1-2 year old Sport S JKU's with 20K miles on it is ridiculous and extremely frustrating.

Are you guys seeing similar? Am i off base here? Just felt like venting a little.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went to buy a unlimited sport with a 2 inch mopar lift and a set of nitto 33 inch tires and they wanted $7000 more for it because it had a $4000 lift on it. Needless to say we couldnt work out a deal on it

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Supply and demand...there are a lot of people that got the '12s in '11 and have traded them off because "gas was to high" and they had already put the cool tires wheels and lifts on them. Thise people with a LOT of disposable income are the ones supplying the slightly Modded Jeeps to the market that have never been "wheeled". The problem is there are not enough of them. Jeeps hold there resale very well...just saw an add today a "used car dealer" also Jeep club member got in a very clean '00 TJ and is asking $7000...according to him it is a $8500 KBB Jeep....that Jeep is 14 years old almost what other vehicle still has about a third to one half of its value at that age?

Not picking on any Jeep but if looking for a "deal" get a JK between '07 and '11 and regear/ build it...very capable that way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to buy a unlimited sport with a 2 inch mopar lift and a set of nitto 33 inch tires and they wanted $7000 more for it because it had a $4000 lift on it. Needless to say we couldnt work out a deal on it
Agreed. There isn't a permalink to show this one.. but i saw a gorgeous 2012 on the side of the road. Looked it at up at home to see it.. 20K miles, 2.5" lift, 33's (MK rims), front stinger bumper with winch.. all for the low price of 40K. For a truck that cost 28K to buy last year. 10-12K premium over the NEW price, nevermind a used price.. That thing should cost 25-26K..

I'm from the old school of thought that aftermarket adds no value at resale time. I'm sure the dude that traded this in didn't get an extra 7-10K for it when he traded it in. Just pisses me off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
After he told me the price I said that I could get a unlimited rubicon for that with a lot more options,and he told me that I wouldn't like a rubicon because its made for offroading and rock climbing and he don't see the need for all the stuff on the rubicon since I won't be taking it off road. I told him if I bought this jeep in 2 days it would be off road

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
It's funny how dealers always say that add-ons and mods done to a vehicle do not increase the trade-in value. Yet, whenever they have one for sale on their lot those add-ons seem to increase the price quite a bit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
586 Posts
It's funny how dealers always say that add-ons and mods done to a vehicle do not increase the trade-in value. Yet, whenever they have one for sale on their lot those add-ons seem to increase the price quite a bit. :rolleyes:
At trade-in time: "Oh you've got that lift and those big tires; we'll have a hard time selling that on our lot because it's hard to get into and the gas mileage will be poor so we'll be taking a serious financial hit letting you trade it in..."

Same dealer after you trade it in: "We just got this great Jeep already set up with big tires and lift; you can't get 'em like this from the factory. Tires ain't got nothing to do with gas mileage -- who told ya that? Look at how high up you are and that's better for you in case you get hit. We can add a slide out step for just $500 if you want. This is one of a kind right here!"

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have found that Wranglers are the exception to the common rule of recovering some of your investment in aftermarket. People who buy them want the aftermarket stuff. No other vehicle I know of does this happen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Why do you think I bought new. I looked at an 09sport with manual, ac, and 37k miles. They were asking 18000 for and had rims and tires the dealer was trying to say added to the value. Once I told him I would rather have the factory tires/rims you could see it change his attitude towards me buying. For about $3k more I got my new 13 jk with 54 miles. I had a long test drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm from the old school of thought that aftermarket adds no value at resale time.
That train of thought usually only applies when someone else puts the aftermarket mods on, or when you try to trade it in to a dealer.
When you (not necessarily you in particular, but the current owner) put them on and try to sell it. than it is usually a different story :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'm part of the demographic that already has spent untold $$$ over the decades chasing my vision of styling and performance.....so the after market mods in my case actually detract from what I'm after.

Bare knuckle stock Wrangler already out performs my off-road needs.

As a member of the gravitationally enhanced geezer patrol, lifts not only don't serve any personal need, they are a hindrance to what chores as daily driver-mobile work unit about the estate I may encounter.

Personal modifications of an already highly functional vehicle don't necessarily increase its value to the next owner/operator. Some may want already modded and some don't. Imagine the array of potential options the factory "could" install, yet wisely avoids.

Part of the joy of a Wrangler is learning how good it is in stock form.
Another kind of joy is learning what mods really are advantageous.

In my own year-long search for my used JK, I was simply astounded at the variety of mods, and the wide difference of opinions in resulting market value.

One of the unexpected findings on the numerous lifted used Wranglers I drove, was how many actually drove/rode/handled so poorly compared to stock models. Despite looking as I liked, several I would have otherwise purchased exhibited simply atrocious handling despite tires/wheels/lifts.

Sale value of any rig has to be agreed upon by both seller AND buyer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I went with a new JK because of the high price of the used ones. Didn't make sense to save just a few bucks to get a used one that you have no idea how it was treated.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
At trade-in time: "Oh you've got that lift and those big tires; we'll have a hard time selling that on our lot because it's hard to get into and the gas mileage will be poor so we'll be taking a serious financial hit letting you trade it in..."

Same dealer after you trade it in: "We just got this great Jeep already set up with big tires and lift; you can't get 'em like this from the factory. Tires ain't got nothing to do with gas mileage -- who told ya that? Look at how high up you are and that's better for you in case you get hit. We can add a slide out step for just $500 if you want. This is one of a kind right here!"
:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
I tried to trade my 2013 JKU sport in new condition had 8500 miles on it and was 6 months old did not have a scratch on it and was told it really was not worth much because used jeeps did not sell well. this was at two different jeep dealerships. Both places offered 5K under dealer cost.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went with a new JK because of the high price of the used ones. Didn't make sense to save just a few bucks to get a used one that you have no idea how it was treated.
Exactly my thoughts. I had no plan at all to buy a new JK. I figured a nice used wrangler would be perfect for my needs. After searching the used one and seeing the prices...I said screw it! Only talking a couple more thousand to get a brand new one. Bought a '12 Sport in Nov/11 and never looked back. Damn glad I did.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. I had no plan at all to buy a new JK. I figured a nice used wrangler would be perfect for my needs. After searching the used one and seeing the prices...I said screw it! Only talking a couple more thousand to get a brand new one. Bought a '12 Sport in Nov/11 and never looked back. Damn glad I did.
Same here! We found that on average Sports only lose about $1000-1500 per year in value on dealer lots which makes it impossible to justify buying used if you can swing the extra to buy a new one. We almost bought a 2008 Sport w/56k and would have paid only $5k less than we paid for a brand new 2012! I've bought and sold dozens of vehicles in all my years and with the exception of my 05 F150 Supercrew that I sold 2 years later for exactly what I paid for it (thanks to Ford's Employee Pricing Plus deal that saved me $10k off the sticker) the Jeep Wrangler is the best bang for the buck value I've encountered.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

Post of the year rofl

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It kills me that modded vehicles sometimes try to be sold for more. A modded vehicles means you're buying a vehicle that 1. has its warranty voided and 2. has far less reliability.

No thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Exactly !!!!! Ha ha

Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts