Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Jeep I really like but I am not sure if this is a good price. Its a 2011 Unlimited Sahara, fully loaded interior, AEV Wheels/Wrangler off road tires, front winch and upgraded rear bumper (doesn't appear to be any suspension mods). Dealer is asking $32K and it has 69,000 miles. I can get an extended 3 yr manufacturer extended warranty for next to nothing through my bank (extra $1300).

Is the $32K a nice price or crack pipe?

I just moved to Washington this past December and think it would be a great rig for exploring so I would keep this longterm. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I didn't check Kelly or Edmunds but that sounds really high to me.

I'd look for at least a 2012 or newer to get the new 3.6l engine.

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
I don't have the bumpers or the Sahara but I did pick up a new 2013 unlimited with 95 miles. had the 24s group and the mopar black group. had AEV 4.5 lift, amp research steps, 35x13.50x20 fuel mud grippers, 20x10 fuel hostage and tinted windows for 37,428.50. I live in Idaho so it's not too far from you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't check Kelly or Edmunds but that sounds really high to me.

I'd look for at least a 2012 or newer to get the new 3.6l engine.
Yeah that was my thought. I've never driven the 2007-11 JK's so I am not sure what the power is like. It does have 3.73's vs the 3.21's and when I checked KBB it priced it around $27K (that includes off road tires but not the bumpers etc.)

I don't have the bumpers or the Sahara but I did pick up a new 2013 unlimited with 95 miles. had the 24s group and the mopar black group. had AEV 4.5 lift, amp research steps, 35x13.50x20 fuel mud grippers, 20x10 fuel hostage and tinted windows for 37,428.50. I live in Idaho so it's not too far from you.
That sounds like a banging deal to me and plus new vehicle warranty! I might have to keep searching then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like there's a '13 JKU Rubicon with 7k miles on ebay not far from you for 37k + change.

3.6 + factory warranty + rubicon = win!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a nice looking jeep. Just for reference 4 of my friends recently bout used jeeps and the 2 that were most equipped like that 2011s were 50k something miles 29k otd. With the rims tires ect I don't think its high I could be wrong used prices are funny. I'd prob try get it maybe about 2k lower but also honestly as good as the jeep looks prob would be hard for me to let that one get away

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like there's a '13 JKU Rubicon with 7k miles on ebay not far from you for 37k + change.

3.6 + factory warranty + rubicon = win!!!
Thanks Deac!

That's a nice looking jeep. Just for reference 4 of my friends recently bout used jeeps and the 2 that were most equipped like that 2011s were 50k something miles 29k otd. With the rims tires ect I don't think its high I could be wrong used prices are funny. I'd prob try get it maybe about 2k lower but also honestly as good as the jeep looks prob would be hard for me to let that one get away
yeah, I was going for $29K on this one. Thanks for the info on your friends jeep purchases. That helps!

·
Registered
368 Posts
For 32k you can definitley get a brand new Sport S, and with good haggling you can get a decent loaded Sahara. 32k for a jeep with that many miles is way too high IMO.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I think that is a bit high. I bought my slightly used 2013 Freedom Edition JKU with 10,000 miles on it for $29,500. It came with an aftermarket Pioneer navigation system / radio, a 2" lift, and new 33" Nitto Trail Grappler tires and a hard top. It did not have the aftermarket bumpers, winch, or rims.

·
Banned
127 Posts
That price is high. I was shopping around a few months ago, and looked at various wrangler trim levels. That's definitely a high price. With your budget, I would only consider the 3.6 engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you can get a brand new one for not much more.Just ask for 2% below invoice price and I think you can get close .

New 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited For Sale | Kirkland WA

Thanks for the leads. I ended up going to Autonation Jeep Bellevue this morning and looking at a couple.

For 32k you can definitley get a brand new Sport S, and with good haggling you can get a decent loaded Sahara. 32k for a jeep with that many miles is way too high IMO.
I agree. My local jeep dealer was willing to work with me really well on a new Unlimited Sport that was pretty well-equipped.

I think that is a bit high. I bought my slightly used 2013 Freedom Edition JKU with 10,000 miles on it for $29,500. It came with an aftermarket Pioneer navigation system / radio, a 2" lift, and new 33" Nitto Trail Grappler tires and a hard top. It did not have the aftermarket bumpers, winch, or rims.

Agree that is priced high after seeing the new car deals. If it were 1 year newer with less miles it would be a no-brainer for me. Nice Jeep btw!

I have a 13 Sahara with 23k I'd sell you for $32k!
If thats the Jeep in your avatar, thats a heck of a deal for $32K IMO.

I was kinda rushing things because me and a buddy of mine have a trip planned to Kalispell and Yellowstone in a few weeks but I'm just gonna slow down and move when the time is right. I'll PM ya if something changes and thanks for the offer.

That price is high. I was shopping around a few months ago, and looked at various wrangler trim levels. That's definitely a high price. With your budget, I would only consider the 3.6 engine.
Agree. The pentastar motor is definitely worth it especially since this will be a long-term vehicle. I had something pending on a '14 Tacoma TRD Sport but after looking at Jeeps the past couple days, I will definitely be getting into a Wrangler for my next vehicle. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kirkland is the cheapest in the state, then followed by Dave Smith in Idaho.
You can get a new Rubi @ Kirkland for 32k most of the time.
I got my Sahara for 27,200 @ Kirkland 2 months ago, nobody else in the state would come close. As you can tell with over 100 JKU`s on lot, they sell the most for a reason.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
You're finding out what I did when shopping -- I usually buy myself a slightly used second car, which is what this Jeep was going to be.

But after driving late-model TJs (05 and 06), then early JKs (07 and 08), I decided I really wanted a Pentastar (12+). But when I went shopping for those, I found that I could build exactly what I wanted for hardly any more money than people were asking for 2YO 30k+ miles used versions.

Honestly, as an economics major (a long time ago) I don't see how this can be! Everybody seems to figure out when they start shopping that late-model used is as much as brand new; so that should cause everyone to buy new instead, and that should cause used to languish on dealer lots, unsold, and that should cause used prices to come down till they sell.

But I'm not seeing that. It's crazy. I don't understand why any human would buy that Jeep in the OP for $32,000. I can't fathom it. With 69,000 miles???

Sure, with the new one you'd have to give up the aftermarket stuff, but that can be added for so little, and can be added when you are ready.

I just don't get it...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just picked up my '14 JK Sahara two weeks ago right off the line for $32K only had 7 miles on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kirkland is the cheapest in the state, then followed by Dave Smith in Idaho.
You can get a new Rubi @ Kirkland for 32k most of the time.
I got my Sahara for 27,200 @ Kirkland 2 months ago, nobody else in the state would come close. As you can tell with over 100 JKU`s on lot, they sell the most for a reason.
I didn't know that about Kirkland. I just found a few unlimited Sahara models on their lot and will be visiting with them this week.

But I'm not seeing that. It's crazy. I don't understand why any human would buy that Jeep in the OP for $32,000. I can't fathom it. With 69,000 miles???

Sure, with the new one you'd have to give up the aftermarket stuff, but that can be added for so little, and can be added when you are ready.

I just don't get it...
I started the search looking at Tacoma's. I shortly realized that 2012 Tacoma's were selling for the same price as new Tacoma's that were equally equipped (that seems to be the case here as well for wranglers). The thing about the Jeep above is that its equipped exactly how I would want a new one but I wasn't sure if the parts value (tires, wheels, lift, winch/bumpers) made it worth it in the end.

I would much rather have a new one for the same price or less so thats what I am looking at now. Thanks for the input.

I just picked up my '14 JK Sahara two weeks ago right off the line for $32K only had 7 miles on it.
I hope to have the same deal soon! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly, as an economics major (a long time ago) I don't see how this can be! Everybody seems to figure out when they start shopping that late-model used is as much as brand new; so that should cause everyone to buy new instead, and that should cause used to languish on dealer lots, unsold, and that should cause used prices to come down till they sell.

I just don't get it...

Econ major here as well, I've thought the exact same thing. The used market for Wranglers is so weird it's hard to comprehend.

There are two things I can think of:

1. Uninformed consumers. 95% of people don't get on car forums, don't shop multiple dealers, etc.

2. Old habits. I know there is a significant portion of the population that just refuses to buy a new car. They think the depreciation is too bad, etc. This again, comes back to the uninformed consumer thing. They never think to look at the new cost of Wranglers because they just assume the used ones they are looking for are significantly cheaper.

BTW, your Willys Wheeler post over in The Car Lounge about how you got $4k off was what made me order mine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Econ major here as well, I've thought the exact same thing. The used market for Wranglers is so weird it's hard to comprehend.

There are two things I can think of:

1. Uninformed consumers. 95% of people don't get on car forums, don't shop multiple dealers, etc.

2. Old habits. I know there is a significant portion of the population that just refuses to buy a new car. They think the depreciation is too bad, etc. This again, comes back to the uninformed consumer thing. They never think to look at the new cost of Wranglers because they just assume the used ones they are looking for are significantly cheaper.

BTW, your Willys Wheeler post over in The Car Lounge about how you got $4k off was what made me order mine.

I don't get it either. I paid $35,500 for my Jeep brand new, 18 months and 23k miles ago. According to KBB and Edmunds, the TRADE IN value of my Jeep is $32k'ish...I would never recommend to anyone to buy a gently used Jeep, the savings are just not worth it. People, imho, overpay for used Jeeps without even shopping for new ones just to make sure. It all makes me want to sell my Jeep every 2 years or so and just buy a brand new one for like $3k more than I sold my old one for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts