Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is looking to purchase a new vehicle and I've convinced him to go the Jeep route. He's ridden in mine and is a fan, so we've been looking at used JKU's for the last few months. What the heck is up with their prices? It seems like any amount of lift + wheels/tires adds 5k onto a new price. I paid less for mine brand new.

Anyone know what these things are actually selling for?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Short answer is it depends on the Jeep. JK/Us hold there value extremely well. Add to that any mods that will make a dealer a profit and there you are. Sounds like what your seeing is normal.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
That the flip side to Wranglers holding their value well. A used Wrangler can easily run you almost as much as a new one.

And its been that way for a very long time. Back many decades ago, I was shopping for a used CJ. I ended up buying one of those new fangled things from Jeep called a "Wrangler", for just a few bucks more than any good used CJ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This forum is littered with stories of 'I started off looking for a used JK(U) and then realized it was just better to buy new'.
We couldn't stomach the $40K price tag on a new one. And I couldn't find one in a color I wanted that had all the fun things I wanted in it. Thought we did pretty well on a 2014 with 10,700 miles on it for $34K.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
We couldn't stomach the $40K price tag on a new one. And I couldn't find one in a color I wanted that had all the fun things I wanted in it. Thought we did pretty well on a 2014 with 10,700 miles on it for $34K.
I paid under $37k for my new 2015 Willys. I had to order it for the color and options I wanted.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Same way in my area. Actually the reason I bought a JK (still used). All the TJs with a small lift and tires cost as much as a much newer stock JK with far less miles. And the JKs already have bigger tires. At least the Saharas and Rubis do.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was in the same predicament. Used prices were all in the $20's for 2012+, any with under 50K miles were into the mid-$20.

So I bought a new (only option is SiriusXM) one for <$26K.

Then I added a headunit with GPS, Bluetooth & SiriusXM, bigger tires, and alloy wheels (total <$2,000) and KBB estimated the value at $32K with 10K miles 9 months later.

Not that I would expect to get that out of it, but the way they hold their value really is friggin' nuts.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Resale values always chase new prices when new prices are rising dramatically.

Will a new JK/JL reach the level of ridiculousness we see with pickup trucks that are kissing $70K fully loaded? They might, especially if demand keeps up and these vehicles account for a large portion of FCA's profit.

And if they do, the JK's we paid $35K for could loose very little value. Heck, they might even appreciate. But they'll plateau at some point as the new price continues to rise and the spread widens.

So yeah, for now I'd buy new.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
I have purchased JKs both new and used. The secret to buying used is searching for a very long time until one sitting at a Ford or Toyota dealership gets cleared.

It took me five weeks to find my JKU Sahara with 8,500 miles: she had been sitting at a Ford lot for six months until the dealership finally dropped the price $2,000 below similar vehicles; I picked it up right away.

Best purchase I ever made.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's precisely why I bought a new one. I didn't want the mods people were putting on them and I didn't want to pay for it. An LJ with 100K miles was over $20K, so spending $27K on a new JKU was the only sensible thing to do. Also since they hold their value so well, I figure I won't lose much if I wind up having to sell it later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was in the same boat, but I got my '14 with right at 8,000 miles for about 27K. They had it at 30, but I talked them down. It already had the wheels/tires/rocker knockers on it, so it wasn't stock. Originally I was looking for an older one, but saw the one I bought and realized it was a good deal and bought it.
I guess it really depends more on where you are and who are dealing with (being an individual, small dealer or mega dealership).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was in the same boat, but I got my '14 with right at 8,000 miles for about 27K. They had it at 30, but I talked them down. It already had the wheels/tires/rocker knockers on it, so it wasn't stock. Originally I was looking for an older one, but saw the one I bought and realized it was a good deal and bought it.
I guess it really depends more on where you are and who are dealing with (being an individual, small dealer or mega dealership).
Agreed. We purchased ours from a pretty big dealership. I spent over a month looking online. I was shocked at some of the prices. In our area, it seemed like the JKU's didn't stay on the lots too long, and I think the dealers know it. I test drove/looked at 2 that were gone within a week. When I saw mine (Sahara with everything in it, except leather - didn't want that anyway) I knew that if we walked away it would be gone. I did make them give me a t-shirt though!

·
Registered
568 Posts
My personal opinion is buy new! Last May I put a deposit down on a 2010 Rubi with 88K miles for $21K. The helpful folks on this forum talked me out of making a huge mistake! So, I backed out of the deal and ended up getting a brand new Sport S with Power Convenience, Towing, Connectivity and a few other options for $26K out the door. It's worth it just for the peace of mind knowing I have a new Jeep.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Agreed cjeezy. Buying new makes the most sense with these inflated used prices.
Sometimes it does, especially with the popularity of the vehicle. If the dealership/lot/person knows how much in demand their stuff is, they not only will inflate the price, they don't budge on it much because of the fact that they know that in a week or so, it'll be sold.
Basically, get YOUR numbers in order. See how much you can put down and see if you have a trade and go to your bank and get approval first. This will give you an idea of how much you have to play with, so when you go to buy a jeep, you'll know what you can/should get and what is best for your dollar amount.
I know it sounds like a pain in the ass, but when you do a search, do a very broad one. I got lucky and found mine in the town I live in, but when I did searches, I was extending the search to 250 miles I believe. You never know what you can find, and to me, the right jeep is worth the extra time. See what you have, see what's available, make note of the favorites and go check them out. It'll make it much easier in the end.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I bought mine used 3rd party cause I wanted something I could buy with cash to not have a car payment. But I looked for a long time before finding something listed for a non inflated price. Then I snapped it up fast. It helps if you aren't really picky about stuff like color, etc. The stock ones used by non jeepers are usually the ones listed for what its worth. I didnt even bother arguing with the guy cause it was a good price already and i know it wouldnt last long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts