Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching to get started with some serious custom fab work. I know I want to be able to weld up to 1/4" so I'm aware of amperage characteristics.

I've been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a good used welder, but I'm not sure of the things I should watch out for.

Is it even a good idea to try and get a used welder?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm itching to get started with some serious custom fab work. I know I want to be able to weld up to 1/4" so I'm aware of amperage characteristics.

I've been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a good used welder, but I'm not sure of the things I should watch out for.

Get a 220v if you want to weld 1/4" steel. 110v migs usually max out at 3/16th.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Get a 220v if you want to weld 1/4" steel. 110v migs usually max out at 3/16th.
This. Other benefit is the improved duty cycle. Will likely be at 10% for a 110v to weld 3/16th. You'll likely have to install a new outlet anyways, so you may as well install a 220.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

There were very few used welders in my area, and the ones that were for sale were very expensive. So I bought a new one.

+1 for the 220V.

I bought the Hobart 210MVP, which will run on either 220 or 110 (it's more limited on thickness at 110, of course). I haven't used it at 110 yet, but it is a nice feature.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
There were very few used welders in my area, and the ones that were for sale were very expensive. So I bought a new one.

+1 for the 220V.

I bought the Hobart 210MVP, which will run on either 220 or 110 (it's more limited on thickness at 110, of course). I haven't used it at 110 yet, but it is a nice feature.
Based on all my discussions with professional welders, this is the current bang for the buck beginners welding machine. It's what I'm looking for (I hope to find a used one).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This. Other benefit is the improved duty cycle. Will likely be at 10% for a 110v to weld 3/16th. You'll likely have to install a new outlet anyways, so you may as well install a 220.
I was planning on a 220. It actually looks pretty simple to wire up a 220 breaker. Mayhaps even easier than 110. I just haven't double checked my breaker box to see if I have the two spare spots yet, but I feel like it's not heavily populated currently.

This is actually what I've been finding too. I may have to dig into my Jeep budget for this. I can't convince my wife that a welder is a household expense.

This is the one I have on my wishlist.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I may have to dig into my Jeep budget for this. I can't convince my wife that a welder is a household expense.
The welder is a big investment, no doubt.

I bought mine for my 8.8 Axle Swap with plans to use it on other future projects to essentially "pay" for the welder.

That has worked out well - I've also built Rocker Guards and a Tire Carrier. Very soon, I'll be making a storage rack and a couple of grab handles.

Longer term, I'll be doing a roll cage upgrade. Then I'll have to justify a tube bender to myself :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
It never ends!
Man isn't that the truth ! I wanted to start doing some of my own welding , looked into used
Machines but just didn't know enough about it. I ended up buying a New Millermatic 211 Mig
With multi Volt Plugs. Very nice Welder and easy to use. I'm running .030 Flux-Core wire which
Gives a good weld bead . Plan on getting Shielding Gas setup down the road also. Buying
Accessory's for this is almost addicting as Jeep Parts,Ha..lol.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
When I did it for a living, Miller was tops for MIG. When I bought my home MIG about 15 years ago I naturally went with a Miller. Got a good deal too at a trade show. I haven't checked lately but they were both basically the same machines, (same company owns both), but the Hobarts had a little cheaper components, plastic drive wheels and such. So the Millers are marketed towards the production shops while the Hobarts are marketed more towards the home do it yourselfers.
If you're not opening up a shop, either one would probably serve you well.

Bob

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

+1 for the 220V.

I had a 210MVP for a month before my buddies house was burglarized and it was stolen. it was a good machine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts