Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
What transfer case is it? SYE? 241? 231?

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
You can pull your own 231j or 242j at you pull it for under $100 will come from an xj and be higher miles

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can pull your own 231j or 242j at you pull it for under $100 will come from an xj and be higher miles

I wish I even saw a wrangler in a pick a part place. I have never seen a wrangler in one of those either in WashPA, or down here in VA. They are typically bought up by Jeep specific breakers.

Either way $300 is a bit steep. There is a guy in Belle Vernon advertising on Craigslist $100 for a 4 cyl Case, and other cases around here are going in the $200 range. Search Craigslist and use the miles from zip to widen your search.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
Correct few tj bits lots of xj and a fair amount of XJs had 231 same case for the 96 up xj except the ones with 242 and that case is a direct swap and adds full time 4WD to all the other chooses in your 231

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
Down side is only two SYE options on 242 a custom machine of shaft you supply core by Tom woods and pretty darn pricey or a hack and tap

Also they never used the 242 with manual tranny but it could still work as input/sun swaps with a 231 input/sun

·
Knows a couple things...
49,371 Posts
I'd stick with a 1997 to 2006 (or '96 XJ) 231 tcase that matches your engine size and transmission type. Older 231 t-cases aren't sealed where the rear output shaft attaches so they would leak ATF if you ever had to drive home with the rear driveshaft removed due to damage.

Swapping in t-cases built for different engine sizes and transmission types also gets into issues like different length input shafts and different shaft spline count/diameters.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
Agree stay with 96 or newer xj did come as 96

As far as input length and spline non issue just swap in your input as long as 95 or newer

And the slip yolk type won't matter if you are doing an SYE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts