Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to install a Warn 9.5 cti with the maximus offset winch plate. I've been saving for the winch and have enough to purchase all that I need. I ran across a used 9.5 cti for $400 that is complete and operational. The seller removed it when he traded his Jeep. It has some cosmetic issues that don't bother me, but is otherwise complete, remote, wire rope is good/great shape, hawse fairlead, warn hook and a d-ring shackle comes with it. I've always bought a new winch, but this deal seems fortuitous. Have any of you purchased a use winch? If so, how did you go about checking it out? did you 'trust' the person or did you verify operation? Also, I don't see how you can verify much other than a quick hook up and test of the remote.

Interested in your thoughts as I plan to meet him tomorrow evening.

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
A used 9.5 for $400 is a great deal. I would use jumper cables to hook up to battery and at least make sure it powers in. Most of the winch will be hidden so cosmetic flaws are no big deal on a 10A /HR/recon bumper

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A used 9.5 for $400 is a great deal. I would use jumper cables to hook up to battery and at least make sure it powers in. Most of the winch will be hidden so cosmetic flaws are no big deal on a 10A /HR/recon bumper
This is my thinking exactly and why I've considered to check it out. I've already started a list of what I can buy for the Jeep with the left over $$$; the addiction knows no limits! lol

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
:) look down a little when you reply.o_O

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The winch checked out fine! I hooked it up to my truck with jumper cables and powered it in and out. Check free spool too. The wire rope is in perfect condition. The powder coating is peeling a lot, but that is cosmetic; I plan to paint it with gloss black implement/tractor paint from Tractor Supply.

I pulled the wire last evening and man is 125' long AND heavy. The drum looks good so I'm switching to synthetic, leaning towards Warn Spydura Pro 3/8 x100' line.

Maximus-3 off center plate and new Hawse fairlead are on order.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
MIght want to ENSURE the drum is smooth to the touch all around and PAINT it before placing your new synthetic line onboard with a couple layers of paint.
Synthetic line retains water and most likely will not fully dry on the drum, leaving you with a rusty drum.

I really enjoyed my wire on older winches as it was easily maintained. Oh, I do like the synthetic too; just a bummer after a weekend in the woods (fording water, getting muddy, etc) an having to remove the line, wash dry and return it to the drum with proper tension.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MIght want to ENSURE the drum is smooth to the touch all around and PAINT it before placing your new synthetic line onboard with a couple layers of paint.
Synthetic line retains water and most likely will not fully dry on the drum, leaving you with a rusty drum.

I really enjoyed my wire on older winches as it was easily maintained. Oh, I do like the synthetic too; just a bummer after a weekend in the woods (fording water, getting muddy, etc) an having to remove the line, wash dry and return it to the drum with proper tension.
Thanks for the tip. I ran my hand over the drum and there are no burrs, but there is some missing paint for sure. I thought I read somewhere not to paint the drum, but perhaps I'm mis-remembering. I've always run wire rope on my past two warn winches. This time I started thinking I would run synthetic if I ever found a deal on a winch. I waffled back-and-forth on keeping the wire vs. synthetic, but after pulling off 125' of the wire rope and feeling the weight, I changed my mind. I get the extra maintenance of pulling off, washing, drying and re-spooling that comes with synthetic, but the weight savings is golden in my book.

I'm moving the restoration and install to my build thread.

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
If you want to keep steel you can also cut about 30' off your current line and make an extension with the left over. If you have a splicing and cable or rigging type supply store in your area they can do it.

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts
good choice. I would never go back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts