Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: Besides increased front tire ware and decreased mpg what is the harm in driving my TJ in 4wd all the time?
Can I "hurt" anything?

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you make a turn the front wheels have to spin faster than the rear, if all have good traction (pavement) something in the middle (u-joints, etc.) has to break.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Other than the fact that there's really no need to drive in 4wd unless you have the terrain or the conditions for it. You could possibly break a ujoint or shaft on the front axle. Driving in 4wd on dry pavement will put pressures on your front end that don't need to be there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yes you can...

You can kill your T-Case Driving in 4x4 on the street!

A new set of GoodYear 285 MTRs can cost over $1,200.00 if you only get 15 - 20 K out of a set of them is that not enough?

Why would you want to drive in 4x4 all the time anyway?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't wan to drive in 4wd all the time.

My question comes from a problem I was having.
My 2000 Wrangler will not come out of 4wd unless I back up after shifting into 2wd.
Some people say this is okay others say there is something wrong and that it shouldn't work that way. I had a '78 K5 Blazer and a '79 Suburban and you had to reverse in both of those to disengage the 4wd. One difference was that they had manual locking hubs and the TJ doesn't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i dont think theres anything wrong there with having to back up...sometimes thats what you have to do to unbind the t-case...i had to do it all the time in my grand when i had that...it had the selec-trac in it tho...and a buddy with the quadra trac in his does the same thing...its not nearly as common with the cammand trac like what we have in our YJs/TJs, but it does happen...ive had to do it maybe twice since i got my Rubi...atleast once anyways that i know of

so yea, dont sweat it, its all good....like my buddy said with who has the grand with the quadra-trac, its just something that the "real" 4x4 systems do...and when i say that, i mean ones where theres a lever to put it into 4WD, not a button on the dash....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts